deliting files from a backup location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob_T, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

I have filled up a Maxtor 300 GB ext. disk with mainly ATI10 folder/files.

I have 2 BU locations, and, recently noted that my current BU location was set to keep 100 BU files!

How can I go about deleting individual .tib files to free up space for BU?

Can I change the size of each BU Location folder, and limit the number of BU files to keep in them? Will this automatically prune the large folder I have saved?

Any other advice re maintaining usable space on my 300GB drive would be appreciated

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob_T,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that .tib files can be deleted via Windows Explorer. Notice that in order to be able to restore differential/incremental backups you will need to keep the original full and (for incremental ones) all previous incremental ones. If you change the settings of Acronis Backup Location, they will be checked after the next creation of a backup. Please notice that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Bob_T

Bob_T Registered Member

Thank you for the reply.

I read the users guide to see if it addressed my specific issue prior to posting my query. Maybe, I missed where it addresses my issue (and you can point me in the right direction?)?

From what you wrote, if I delete any files from a BU (incremental) like I am currently using, I will not be able to restore from it (which is the reason to do the BU). I can not do a BU without deleting some files to make space, and, would prefer not tostart a new BU.

Will the changes I made to the BU corrupt what I already have?

If you understand my issue, could you please add more detail to your answer than what you gave above.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Have a look at this thread regarding backup locations https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172470#13. I personally would recommend you use either full backups each time or a differential rather than incremental. With a full backup image you can restore either the complete image as needed or selected files when needed. With incrementals' if one file in the chain is corrupt you are exposed to losing all the data contained in the incrementals' created later in the chain.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Are you doing full backups only or diffs or incs?

Suppose you only do fulls -- then you can delete any of the full backups files in the backup location that you want to.

Suppose you are doing incs or diffs. A series of Incs (or diffs) are associated with a particular full backup -- it's like the parent. You don't want to seperate these children from thier parent. So if you delete a diff or inc, you might as well delete the whole series that inc or diff is associated with. If you delete a full that has associated incs or diffs, again you should delete the whole series associated with that full.

Notwithstanding, the above, you can edit the limits in the backup locations from within acronis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.