Deletion differential backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by evvivame, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evvivame

evvivame Registered Member

Hi,
    From the user guide (ATI v10.0 4942), I read:

"a differential backup creates an independent file, containing all changes against the initial full archive".

Now, I have as example:
    C.tib (full)
    C2.tib ( differential backup )
    C3.tib ( differential backup )

Like the differential backup definition,the C3.tib containing all changes against C.tib.

But, now, I ask: why I can't delet C2.tib ?
    This question because a "validation Backup Archive" on C3.tib (after the C2.tib deletion) will be aborted (eg. mount C2.tib)

Thanks
    Luciana

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

This is a known problem in TI10 and earlier versions; I don't know if they finally fixed it in TI11 or not.

There is no need for the intermediate differentials (C2, in your example) to restore to the level of C3 since, as you mentioned, they are based on the full. For some reason TI will not validate the archive unless all of the intermediate versions are present. IMO, this is a bug, not a feature!

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

lol. Try to think of it as a side effect of strong medicine ;-)

4. evvivame

Whit ATI Home 11.0.0.8053 same problem !:(

Luciana

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. evvivame

Hi,
    someone can me tell (with a word : yes or no) if is possible delete a C2.tib (see my post at December 9th, 2007 10:22 AM)
    I not use ASZ or Backup Location: all backup are stored in one normal folder
    Thanks
    Luciana

6. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

This post puzzles me. Capability of deleting intermediary backup is the key argument for doing differential backups, isn't it!?

Is just a 'bug' of the "validate archive function"?
    Or do you really mean that you have troubles in restoring files based on just the last diffential and the initial full?

7. eliotrtow

eliotrtow Registered Member

This makes me want to scream!! This was the reason I dropped TI before - I couldn't get one full and one differential, with all prior differentials deleted AUTOMATCIALLY. It is easy to do in Novastor, but TI has so much more functionality. Is this ability really still not there?

8. eliotrtow

BTW VijghenPh - You expressed it perfectly. "Capability of deleting intermediary backup is the key argument for doing differential backups, isn't it!?"

9. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

I've ever understood why you would want to use this strategy for maintaining backups. I assume it is either to save space or to avoid having to take a full backup very often. In either case you lose the ability to restore to a specific point in time plus the diff backup itself will by nature become more unreliable over time.

Perhaps there is a reason but in 30 years of programming I never came across one. I'm a full backup every day kinda guy:D

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello evvivame,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can delete the intermediate differential backups and still be able to restore the remaining ones (provided that the full one is intact). The validation procedure, however, requires that all intermediate incremental or differential backups were present. Probably, that will be changed in future versions of Acronis True Image.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. Acronis Support

Hello eliotrtow,

We may recommend you the following setup that will allow you to keep original full and one latest differential backup at all times:

Set a scheduled task to create a differential backup to existing full one. In the task setup specify a pre command to rename/move the existing differential backup (it will always have the same name), and a post command to delete the renamed/moved file if the new backup was successful. This will ensure that at any point you have a good full backup and a good differential one. Please see chapter "pre/post commands" of the respective User's Guide for more information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. eliotrtow

Marat - Thank you. I will give it a try. Merry Christmas!

Eliot

13. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

Thanks to Marat from support.

I am glad that the issue mentionned in this post was just related to validate operation, not for actual restore of files/backup. :)

Ph.

14. evvivame

Thanks Marat from your support!!.
    For me the thread is closed ( like restore-test succefull !! :thumb: )

Luciana

15. evvivame

Yes ! I wrote "This question because a "validation Backup Archive" on C3.tib (after the C2.tib deletion) will be aborted (eg. mount C2.tib)

My fear was to find me on the half of the river during the restore.....:D

16. gldaggett

gldaggett Registered Member

I am still using version 9 with all updates installed. I am backing up full and differential to DVD sized files so that I can burn them to disk occasionally. (this after catastrophic loss of 2 hard drives at the same time)

Am I correct in thinking that I can identify the differential backup that I want to delete as all the later files with the same date as when the differential was made?

For instance the full backup is named FullD and there are differential backups with names of FullD5, FullD6, etc with the date I made a diffential backup. Would it then be safe to delete some of the later differential files with the same date to free up space?

17. Lynnea

Lynnea Registered Member

"We may recommend you the following setup that will allow you to keep original full and one latest differential backup at all times:

Set a scheduled task to create a differential backup to existing full one. In the task setup specify a pre command to rename/move the existing differential backup (it will always have the same name), and a post command to delete the renamed/moved file if the new backup was successful. This will ensure that at any point you have a good full backup and a good differential one. Please see chapter "pre/post commands" of the respective User's Guide for more information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov"

I discovered the above response in this thread.

I don't undestand what the commands would be to creat the rename & move fil step and then the delete the renamed & moved file step.

Can someone help me out with a very literal step-by-step procedure?

Thanks.
    Lynnea

18. Acronis Support

Hello Lynnea,

We are sorry for delayed response.

For the described scenario the following batch files can be used:

File to be used as pre command (pre.bat) contents:

REM Renaming the differential backup. Example: REN D:\MyBackupFolder\MyBackup1.tib MyBackup1(temp).tib
    REN [drive:][path]DifferentialBackupName TemporarilyName

File to be used as post command (post.bat) contents:

REM Deleting the temporatily file. Example: DEL D:\MyBackupFolder\MyBackup1(temp).tib
    DEL [drive:][path]TemporarilyName

The files can be created in any text editor (notepad, for example) and saved with .bat extension. The "REM" strings can be omitted in both files (they serve as comments only).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

19. Kona24

Kona24 Registered Member

Hi Guys. Is there anyway that you can attach a screen shot of what you are talking about. I am not able to get it to work.. Thanks I am new to this

20. Acronis Support

Hello Kona24,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Could you please describe your question and the issue you've encountered in details? There is a lot of information in this thread and it's not easy to find what exact screen shot you are asking for.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

21. Kona24

Kona24 Registered Member

Hi I am sorry for not being more specific.
    I am trying to get the Pre and Post commands to work as Marat described on the March 3rd post.
    I want to be able to rename and delete an existing backup file through these commands. With that said when I add the commands to the pre and post section of my backup task and click on the test command it says “command failed”.
    So I wanted to get a screen shot of the pre and post command page (within the task setup) to see exactly how to enter the commands within the page to make the scenario described above work.

Thanks

22. Lynnea

Lynnea Registered Member

I would like to second the plea to have screen shots for the pre and post commands to rename and delete files.

I do not find any information in the manual about the commands to which Marat refers.

In every instance, when something as complex and different as noted above would be more easily understood if screen shots were included.

Those of us who have purchased Acronis software may be different skill levels for working with the software. I can read the manual and finally understand most of the concepts, but the execution of some of the more complex commands are not familiar to me.

In general I have found the Chat Line and the Forum to be helpful. But, again, the concrete screen shot is what is needed here.

Thanks.
    Lynnea

23. Acronis Support

Hello Kona24 and Lynnea,

Here are the requested screenshots:

1.JPG

4.JPG

Please replace DifferentialBackupName and TemporarilyName with the respective names you use.

Lynnea, the description is on the page 38, paragraph titles "5.3.3 Pre/post commands" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

24. Lynnea

Lynnea Registered Member

Marat,

Thanks for the screen shots.

I need to be very literal about this. My plan is to have one full backup and 5 incremental backups, not differential backups which is the backup mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

I assume the commands will be the same, right?

Also, I have read the section 5.3.3 in the manual, but you need to understand that I haven't a clue about how
    to specify commands, or even how to create a command.

I would suggest that Acronis staff consider having some useful commands available in the manual or on the web site for those of use who are "command deficient."

I can figure how how to "use" software, but how to configure scripts, commands, etc. is not part of my skill set. Having good support is important for folks like me so we can persist in asking those questions which may be very simple to some people, but which are stumbling blocks for others.

I'm sure I'll get Acronis working per my plan eventually.
    Lynnea

25. Acronis Support

Hello Lynnea,

The specified commands are for keeping one full and one differential backups only.

Please notice that this method was only suggested to eliotrtow because he wanted a kind of schedule not directly available via Acronis Scheduler.

For you I would recommend using Acronis Scheduler instead, as it's designed specifically to be easily able to setup most common backup schedules. For example, the schedule you described is easily set via Acronis Backup Locations. Please see chapters 3.5 "Acronis backup locations" and 8 "Backup location management" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.