deleting index.dat

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by taingfunnymagee, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taingfunnymagee

taingfunnymagee Registered Member

which feature, function or selection deletes index.dat files?

thanx

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello taingfunnymagee, welcome to the forums...

MRUBlaster can only delete index.dat file IF IECache plugin is selected to be run and cleaned also. Even then, it requires a reboot to do so...

OPen MRUblaster
    click on:
    Settings
    Go to Plugins
    IE Temporary Internet File Cleaner
    check the box at bottom: Enable automatic IE Temporary Internet File delete when cleaning in MRU

click on. Save Plug-in Settings
    Box comes up.. All plug-in settings saved/ OK that.
    Click CLOSE to close the Plug-in window,
    click Back to Main Menu
    Click SCAN... and then CLEAN NOW...

done.. but.. you do need reboot to then empty the Index.dat files.

Cheers, TAS

PS: Obviously if you know about Index.dat files, then you know where to look. Go check size *before* you run/reboot, then do it, check again.

The file size should be back to the new Windows generated size of 32Kb. If not, try again, although I don't have a failure with this. Mine is a constant 32Kb nearly all the time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  3. taingfunnymagee

taingfunnymagee Registered Member

thanx, tassie

does the procedure need to be run each session, or does it set a batch file that runs on shutdown or some other trigger.

cheers

4. !WarLord!

!WarLord! Guest

Funny, I dont have any problem with deleting index.dat files without restarting and that is manually, :)

What Ive heard; if you delete the IE preload key (which makes IE load when you start your system, to make it look like its faster than it really is) in the registry on Windows should allow you to delete the index.dat files in "Temporary Internet Files"/IE Cache folder cuz it freezes the IE initialization.. ;)

Dont have IE installed on my W2K so I dont know,right now if it is the same on all Windows versions...

See Ya ! :)

5. fixdalogin

fixdalogin Guest

Delete index.dat by harkening back to the good old DOS days.

Reboot into safemode with command prompt-usually by tapping F5 to bring up the advanced boot options.

Go to the root (C:\) by typing CD\ then pressing Enter

Next type del index.dat /s then press Enter

6. rlewis5502

rlewis5502 Registered Member

Tried that Fixdalogin - it gets rid of all index.dat files except one - C;\documentsandsettings\username\cookies. It won't delete anything with my username associated with it.

Also, although it did delete everything else ( or so I thought) when i downloaded a free index file viewer, it revealed files dating back to a few months. So if this method had worked properly, then surely these files shouldn't have come up?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

7. starlight

starlight Registered Member

riewis5502. You said that you had downloaded a free index date viewer. Where did you get it ? I would like to have one , but don't know which website to use. I want one that does not include spyware with the download.

Thanks

8. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

a nice cleaner with a index.dat viewer. not free but has trial.
    no spyware etc.

super cleaner -
    http://www.southbaypc.com/

9. meandor

meandor Registered Member

Ref azumi21 post Index.dat viewer.
    I use @Winspy v2.03. (It's freeware). All it is is a viewer
    It shows on one screen with tabs URL history, Cookies, Index.dat
    addresses. I'm quite happy with it. I haven't experienced any adware
    pop ups etc with it. Have a look, at it.

http://www.acesoft.net/winspy/

Ciao, meandor

10. KRH

KRH Registered Member

I followed the instructions by Tassie Devils for deleting cookies and temporary Internet files by using MRUBlaster. It worked fine with the cookies, but, even though it seemed to be working, judging by the movement of the indicator bar, my temporary Internet files were left untouched. Do I have a faulty installation or something?

11. KRH

KRH Registered Member

I hope I'm not departing from the thread, but after writing the above words about not being able to get rid of temporary Internet files by following Tassie Devils' instructions for using MRUBlaster, I made an amazing discovery. First, I was disappointed to learn that the temporary Internet files, like the index.dat files, are only deleted upon rebooting, because I had hoped to put MRUBlaster in my task bar and use it instead of Internet Options in the IE tools menu to clean out cookies and temporary files on the fly while broswsing, without trashing the cookies that I need to log onto ATT; but then I found out that if I delete off-line files in Internet Options, without deleting cookies, it deletes all my cookies and temporary Internet files--exept for those that I've exempted from scanning in MRUBlaster! That's something I've dreamt about being able to do for a long time. What a great program! Considering that Spywareblaster also allows me to log on to ATT without receiving the tracking cookies from Doubleclick and Hitbox that are otherwise obligatory, I'd have to say that JavaCool rules!

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Just to make sure I understand it correcty, clicking on the index.dat cleaner is not enough to clean the index.dat files? You have to click on the IE Temp Internet files cleaner plugin? And will my cookies be saved?

13. ronin

ronin Guest

No. You just have to set the options once. Then scan is sufficient.

MRUblaster also does not handle history.dat ,so take note.

14. zardiw

zardiw Guest

The simplest way to delete index.dat in the temporary internet folder is to rename Content.IE5 to Content. When you reboot, windows will create a new Content.IE5 folder, and you can then delete the Content folder with the old index.dat file in it...............z

15. zardiw

zardiw Guest

For that matter, you can just delete the Content.IE5 folder as well!!.....z

16. lotza

lotza Guest

This may be a silly question, but I'll pose it anyway. You're all talking about deleting cookies, and such. Why do you have them turned on in the first place? Unless you're logging onto a sight that requires them like e-bay or whatever.....SHUT THEM OFF. You only need allow them to log in, after that there is no need whatever for them to be allowed. And use Winpatrol (now in version 9) to alert you when cookies are added so you can delete them, or remind you to shut them off. Also alerts you to attempted changes in your home page. And don't forget that deleting your cookies and TIF files is great.....DON'T FORGET TO DELETE THE HISTORY! It's located at or near C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History and lists EVERY SITE YOU'VE BEEN TOO! There is a seperate "history" folder for each administrator so there may be more than 1 you need to clean!

a secure computer is a hackers nightmare! they'll move to an easier target. Test your security at www.grc.com and take the shield's up challenge!

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

TY for recommending Super Cleaner, seems to be working nicely.

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Guest

There is a cool freeware utility called Unlocker 1.6.3 which now allows you to delete index.dat files without restarting or rebooting your computer.

You can download it here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.