deleting a hidden partition

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by helen321, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helen321

helen321 Guest

my computer was being used on the internet with no firewall for a long time. this was because before SP2 it was off by default, and i didnt really know about firewalls. iceni60 is my friend and helped me out. i dont really use my computer much, but we are going to reinstall xp home soon.

is it possible for a trojan to make it's own partition and hide there and keep the partition even after a reinstall?

how can we resolve this? will eraser be able to help?

if a trojan can do this will it be possible to detect it by checking how many GBs are on my C drive? or will the trojan's partition be too small to detect?

thanks, helen and iceni :)

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi helen123(and iceni).;)

You're going to format first before u reinstall right?

To my knowlwdge, that will take care of any nasties or anything else for that matter u had on your HD.

snowbound

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I did a little looking. Master Boot Record viruses are not something you want.
    There are several items to gander at on this page.
    Viruses replicate whereas a trojan doesn't.

Microsoft

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

WoW, nasty stuff. :eek:

Something u definitely don't want to encounter.

snowbound

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I hope this can help you.

6. securityuser

securityuser Guest

"is it possible for a trojan to make it's own partition and hide there and keep the partition even after a reinstall?"

NO. Couldn't happen. Not yet, anyway.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your help :). thinking about it now i dont think i want to nuke some else's HD drive with eraser or Ailric's link even though i asked, so thanks Ailric for the link :)
    when i next go around and we finally get around to doing something (its been months so far) i'll come back to this thread for help. thanks snowbound, ronjor, Ailric and securityuser.

there is one more thing- when i said trojan, i think i ment a cracker or maybe a worm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.