deleted bu files but space not reclaimed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by redmike, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmike

redmike Registered Member

Hi,

I had 7 gig of Acronis back up files on my D drive which I deleted via Explorer.

Now the files don't show in either Explorer or Acronis but 7 gig is showing as used.

Partition Magic shows 7 gig used but won't format the area.

Norton Disk Doctor finds no problem on the partition.

I had a 'safe zone" which I removed via Acronis a few days ago but the space was showing as unused after that. Acronis offers to establish a "safe zone" so obviously doesn't see one.

All my partitions are NTFS

I have nothing of value on this partition (except space :rolleyes: so there is no need to worry about protecting files.

Ideas ?

thanks,

Mike

2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Usually when you reboot this problem goes away. I've deleted Acronis Images and had them remain in the hidden file in the recycle bin until rebooting and I could not manually remove these as a program would not let me but after rebooting they were gone. Also if you have System Restore turned on for the drive it may be worth temporarily turning it off because the Images would possibly be stored by it to restore if you want to go back to the time when the drive had the images.

3. redmike

thanks - emptied the recycle bin and rebooted but still missing the 7 gig.

was going to turn off 'system restore' but got a message saying, 'all previous restore points will be lost" - wasn't too happy about that ..

regards,

Mike

4. redmike

Went to computer management and said 'format D'

Got a message 'the volume D is currently in use. To force the format click yes, warning: forcing a format might cause unexpected errors in the the application that is using this volume. Do you want to continue ?'.

I belive that Acronis could be the only program 'using' it but I'll wait for some feedback from here before hitting 'yes".

thanks

Mike

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you have really emptied the Recylce bin. Norton software protects it from real emptying so that you could recover delted files. Please check Norton settings to make sure you have deleted the images from the disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. redmike

well you were right that norton was protecting the files but I had to purge all the norton protected files in order to free up them up.

anyway tomorrow I should have a DVD burner - I should have perfomed a check sum - a clone should be on DVDs ..

then I won't have to keep bugging you :)

Mike

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

I don't think that DVD burner will help you to get the remaining space from the hard drive. If you really emptied the Recycle bin please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.