Delete old backup images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nganvu, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nganvu

nganvu Registered Member

Somewhere along the line of restoring images, I saw a long list of dated images to choose from.
    I would like to keep only the most recent backup, and delete all the rest of the backups.
    Can someone show me how to process this task??
    Thank you
    Ngan

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

If they are full backups, you may delete as many as you like using Windows Explorer.

If they are all differentials, with one original full backup, then you can delete as many differentials as you want but must retain the full backup on which the remaining differentials are based.

If they are incrementals, you must retain all incrementals "in the chain" back to the original full backup.

3. nganvu

nganvu Registered Member

Tuttle,
    I am talking about Acronis TI.
    Using Windows Explorer?:oops: Can you speculate a little more about this process?
    Thank you

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hi,

what kind of images you have created?
    - incremental
    or
    - diffential?

And: If I understand correctly you want a TI-task to delete the unnacessary files?

Note: Tuttle described the way to delete the unnacessary files manually. Not with a 'task'.

5. tuttle

tuttle Guest

There's nothing to speculate about. Once they are created, True Image image files are just like any other files. Select them and delete them.

6. nganvu

nganvu Registered Member

MrMorse,
    Full backkup images.

7. nganvu

nganvu Registered Member

MrMorse,
    Yes, TI task to delete unnacessary files.
    Ngan

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nganvu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that if you want to keep only the latest image, you can create an Acronis Backup Location, set a limit to keep one image, and create images there. Then you will always have one latest image. Please see "Backup location management" chapter of the respective User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

There is no way to delete unnecessary files with TI-Tasks.

Either you follow Marat Setdikov's suggestions or you have use a self-written Windows-application...

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

AS the user guide describes and has been discussed, you can copy, delete, rename files using windows explorer. If you want automatic management of backups, you can do that too with ATI using Backup Locations and Tasks. Always best to RTFM and then if you don't understand some part of what you've read, come back and ask for a clarification of that particular part. All the info you need has already been given.

11. dougaross

dougaross Registered Member

I am using ver 11 8053 on xp pro. I found the following regarding deleting files. When I deleted some intermediate differential files I would get validation errors unless the archive was contained in a backup location. There was no problem in a backup location

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.