delete/combine images?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Algirdas, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Algirdas

Algirdas Guest

Greetings,

I am doing incremental images each night. Problem is, collection of images is already very big, and I'd like to delete the oldest "snapshots". But I can't delete first full image, neither can I delete some intermediate ones. Logical would be to somehow "combine" them, to produce recent full image, and then keep incrementing on that. But how can I do that?

Or perhaps, maybe it's possible to make the schedule do full backup every 7 or so incremental backups?

Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Algirdas --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Yes, you can schedule full backups for example weekly, and on the other days - incremental backups.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. QQuxa

QQuxa Guest

What about deleting old images?

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I think Anton missed your point. I don't have any incrementals to play with, but can't you delete the intermediate images via the image explorer?

Anton... I think he's trying to figure out if TI enables the user to go in and delete Inc1 and Inc2.

Full Backup... Inc1... Inc2... Inc3... Inc4... Inc5... Inc6

I think each incremental image builds on the previous one, (trying to remember how incrementals work, MCSE is a little fuzzy these days, so if you keep adding on imcrementals, but delete some of the earlier ones, the next one be lacking in integrity.

Anton hinted at the best way to deal with things. Do a full backup once a week, then incrementals until the next full backup.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  5. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I think what the guy wants to do is COMBINE a FULL IMAGE and all of the INCREMENTAL IMAGES to make one NEW FULL IMAGE. I don't believe there is any way to do this.

In a previous post, Anton said that you cannot delete INTERMEDIATE incremental images. You can, however, delete the last incremental image. You would, of course, loose whatever data changes are contained in that last incremental image.

6. Limerick

Limerick Registered Member

What the word Incremental lets imagine is when you make an image than perform another one later, just the changed files will be moved to the initial image.

And if there are less files the second time, the initial image should have reduced, as if there are more files, the initial image should have grown up just of these files size... (am I clear o_O :oops: ).

Obviously, this is not the way Acronis works, and the word Incremental should not be used.

It's what I think... ;)

7. Acronis Support

Yeah, you cannot combine the incrementals + full backup into a new full backup, and actually I believe it's simpler just to do a new full backup...

As I said one of the best ways is to create full backups weekly and incrementals - daily.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

8. QQuxa

QQuxa Guest

And for that I would need to create two schedule items: one doing full backup on say sundays, second doing incremental backups on all other days, and both pointing to same image file, right?

9. Acronis Support

Yes, you need two schedule items.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

10. QQuxa

QQuxa Guest

Actually it's not that easy.. If I create two items, one full, one incremental, it will go like

sysimg.tib
    sysimg1.tib
    sysimg2.tib
    sysimg3.tib
    sysimg4.tib
    sysimg5.tib
    sysimg6.tib

and then it wil overwrite sysimg.tib when doing full backup! so sysimg1-6 will be useless. this is not suitable for me, i need all the old images to be available..

11. QQuxa

QQuxa Guest

uhm..

12. Acronis Support

Hmmm.. then you can create 4 schedule items... so that you will have 2 series of images.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

13. QQuxa

QQuxa Guest

well I need to be able to keep all of them.. and only remove old ones when its needed. Scheduling in TI is kinda weak :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.