Delay NOD32 Updates?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Steve_K76, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_K76

Steve_K76 Registered Member

Hi peeps,

Bit of a strange one.

Have got mirrors set up working fine.

However, 2 of my users have laptops so they update fine in work (via mirror) but obviously need a second update profile for outside of work, which I've done.

Problem is one of my users has wireless connection at home and when he turns his laptop on NOD32 seems to be causing a bit of a headache searching for updates when he's not yet connected to the wireless.

Is there any way of delaying the update from start up or having it so it doesn't try connecting to the update servers until he is actually connected?

He has advised me it DID update an hour later but the initial "searching for connection" is killing his machine as NOD32 trys to connect.

Have searched around and even RTFM'd but to no avail, help me Ob1...

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Well there are two work-around for this problem;

1. You turn off automatic update at user logon in NOD32 GUI --> Tools --> Scheduler. (I see I have this turned off but I don't know if this is default setting or not..) It will still update once a hour of course.

2. Make a Windows policy (or by register) that Windows should wait for a active connection before Windows lets you login. Normally wireless connections are established after login but with this policy it will make sure it will have a connection before login.

The policy I am talking about:
    - Start --> run --> gpedit.msc
    - Local computer policy --> computer configuration --> administrative templates --> System --> Logon (for vista, xp should be similiar)
    - Enable 'Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon'

3. Steve_K76

Automatic Update After User Login - Already Disabled.

Policy isn't really viable as he manually connects to his wireless and wants to keep it this way.

Just need a way of delaying NOD32 update from login... surely this can be done??

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I cant really see a way how to delayor stop NOD32 from trying to update when not connected.

What is causing his headache :)? The alerts about updating failures or does it delay the login? If it are the alerts you can think about disabling alerts who don't require interaction, that way it stays silent.

5. Steve_K76

Nah, it seems to be hanging his bootup/login. He says it just freezes whilst it's looking for connection for updates... once it says "failed" PC seems to be OK... so it's that initial "looking for connection to update" part of the process thats killing his machine.

6. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

take the regular update off repeatedly and set to daily.make sure that run as soon as possible if missed is unchecked and run at next scheduled time.run it at a decent hour shortly after his usual logon.There are plenty of ways, just edit that particular schedule.mabe delete the others as you can allways create another.I deleted all of mine plus the startup scans.I only have the regular update in my list and I made it just how I want.having it set to every 60 minutes is bound to do that, even if it's set to wait for next scheduled time.if your that vulnerable that you need updates every 60 minutes, you don't belong behind a computer .... :0)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. Steve_K76

Nice 1 ccomputertek. Will give that a go cheers dude...

ps we're talking about the boss here... now he definately don't belong behind a computer... then again... half the worlds internet users probably don't either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.