Delay accessing AnandTech

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by AllynP, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllynP

AllynP Registered Member

I am having trouble accessing Anandtech.com. I can get there but since installing ESS I experience a significant delay. I frequent Anandtech for information and have found that ESS has added a measurable amount of time to my day.

Disabling all filters and adding Anandtech to the HTTP Exclusion list does not help. Leaving IE 7 browser open does help but if all browser windows are closed the same behavior occurs. Only by fully uninstalling ESS does normal access return.

This does not affect Toms Hardware or other sites I've tested. It is most severe and peculiar to Anandtech.

Any ideas?

2. kenw

kenw Registered Member

I checked with Firefox and IE 7 without a problem.
    Might be a DNS server trouble.

3. skypx

skypx Registered Member

I've noticed the same behavior with ESS and Kaspersky (IE7 and Vista 64), unfortunately I don't know how to fix it.

4. Crashman

Crashman Registered Member

Same here with the RC and initial 3.0 release versions of NOD32 AV (not ESS). Tried everything, and I think the only thing that solved it was completely disabling web protection for Firefox by putting the red "X" beside Firefox in NOD's web component settings (memory is not clear, haven't used it since the day after 3.0 was officially released). Only then would anandtech.com load as it should. I have since started using avast! free while Eset's issues are sorted out.

I haven't tried the more recent releases, but it does seem clear that there are ongoing conflicts with the AV's web protection component, apart from any that ESS's firewall may have. Shame, too, since otherwise the AV ran very light on my system, as least as far as the speed of file operations and boot/shutdown times were concerned.

Good luck -- hope you find a solution that we can all use!

5. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Try OpenDNS to compare DNS performance. I never have DNS issues since I switched to them 6 months ago. I had few issues with Sprint before that.

6. AllynP

AllynP Registered Member

Crashman, I tried your solution and it worked. I had to remove all green checks under the web browser components and leave web filtering disabled.

I have submitted a service request to ESET about this problem but have not heard back. Hopefully, they are working on it. I really like ESS except for this issue.

In three weeks I will be relocating and will see if the problem follows me upstate.

7. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I had a somewhat similer issue with a specific site, as well, I posted about not being able to even load support.sprint.com, under vista. I sent in the ESS setting and they said they would look into it, but nothing, as of yet. It was just that one specific site(between that issue and not being able to see/edit any rules, created under the system process, I'v since uninstalled ESS, till they get ESS a little more bug free).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.