Defragmenters - Disk or File?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am looking for a good quality "True" Disk Defragmenter.

When I sometimes work with large DVD ISO files the built-in Windows XP defragmenter sometimes refuses to defragment these ISO's saying that there are too many fragments. This occurs even though I defragment prior to placing these files on the hard drive.

What are some recommended "True" Disk Defragmenters? I would prefer freeware but payware would be OK. I have looked at, but not tried, mst Defrag but I am not clear if it is a "True" Disk Defragmenter. Some of the screenshots of mst Defrag implied to me that it may only be a file defragmenter.

Thank you.

2. TheKid7

Please help.

Thanks.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think a heavily fragmented ISO file is really an issue, it won't affect performance in any meaningful way.

That said, there are many defragmenters available, both paid and otherwise. Search the forum here, or Google for it to find the most common ones.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Try Perfect Disk, its always a good idea to de-fragment the ISO before burning it as then it helps in decompressing it when using the disk.

5. TheKid7

I see that Raxco Software has two choices, PerfectDisk 2008 Professional and PerfectDisk Rx Suite. The PerfectDisk Rx Suite seems to have more in it and costs a little less.

Does anyone have any experience with PerfectDisk Rx Suite?

It seems like it would be better to "keep it simple" and try PerfectDisk 2008 Professional. What do you think?

Thank you.

6. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I use Diskeeper 2009 pro, and it has no problems at all defragging DVD ISOs. You can try the free trial version from the website to see if it defrags your fragmented ISOs....it should be easily able to handle it.

BTW, an ISO in a few fragments is hardly a problem.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Please note that the PerfectDisk Rx Suite has been sold by Raxco to another company and PerfectDisk 10 is coming next Tuesday on 27 Feb 2009.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, PerfectDisk Rx Suite will stop been sold on 27/1, when pd10 will be officially released.

ps. Where did you heard that it was sold to another company? Raxco emailed me that it will be replaced by another similar product on April 2009 and that they will provide it free of charge to current subscribers of the Raxco combo pack (probably the same is true for the RX Suite subscribers).

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.