Defragmentation software poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by n8chavez, Mar 19, 2008.

?

What defragmentation do you prefer and why?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2008.
  1. Puran Defrag

1.4%
  2. MST Defrag

5.8%
  3. Windows' Default

15.9%
  4. JKDefrag

18.8%
  5. Disk Keeper

17.4%
  6. O&O Defrag

2.9%
  7. Perfect Disk

34.8%
  8. Raxco

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm using a program called tuneXP. Don't quite know how it does it, but it uses the built in Windows defragger to rearrange things according to its own mentations. Noticeably speeds up the boot time, and XP runs very nicely.
    Have also used JKdefrag, and it appears to work well, but the PC is quite a lot slower to boot afterward. No noticeable difference in program responsiveness after running either application.
    Have used Auslogics with success, but the latest version did something that borked things up a bit. Startup items wouldn't load, application errors, the "memory could not be written" errors. Uninstalled it.

2. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Disk Keeper 2008 +1, does a great job

3. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

I use Perfect Disk 08 it's very nice stays out of the way has some good options.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I'm using the one built into Tuneup Utilities 2008.I'm not sure what make it is.:D

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Went to Diskeeper 2008 from Perfect Disk, just for a change. Things are still running smooth.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Using the free JKDefrag. Maybe a little bit slow but it's defragging while I sleep so it's O.K.;)

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Windows default...I have never had any issues.

I did have some with System Suite 4 defrag. BigC knew about the issue and was kind enough to let me know what was going on. :)

8. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Polling closed; But I wanted to put in a good word for Paragon Software's Total Defrag 2007. It works smoothly as advertized under Windows Vista.

I recently switched over to Raxco PerfectDisk 2008. It seems to be doing a fine job also. But I have only been testing it for a day now.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very Well.

But in fairness this poll SHOULD HAVE listed Ultimate Defrag by DiskTrix imo to complete the table of TOP defraggers.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Perfectdisk.....

i did give MST Defrag i try, but it kept 'not responding' on Vista.

11. egghead

egghead Registered Member

"not responding" ? What do you mean ?

I run it on XP as well as on Vista Home Premium; it works flawlessly.

12. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Just a report on PD 2008: After using for 5 days at home, I also downloaded the Trial version to use on my office PC, running XP.
    The Stealth mode seems just great !
    Works on both PCs (XP and Vista) and drives all my disks to near zero defragmentation without me even noticing it running. So far, so good !

13. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What process says that it is not responding; the main exe or the service exe? That's wierd because I have frinds that use MST of Vista and they haven't reported any problems.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont know what process, but the main program, ive tried it on different snapshots and i get the same result.

something doesnt agree with it on this laptop, however.... i get a new one in a fortnight, so might give it another try then.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Aren't 3rd-party defraggers dangerous if you use Rollback Rx?

16. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Yes they are. EAZ-FIX includes defragger and their pages says that don't use any other.

17. egghead

egghead Registered Member

maybe this helps

from the help file:

Q: mst Defrag commences to work on my hard disk only 4 minutes after the system start-up. Is this behavior normal?

A: Yes. mst Defrag intelligently selects individual and optimal strategies in order to enhance performance of computer systems. Decisions are drawn from many parameters, but can also be adjusted at users' discretion through registry settings. Several parameters also control the determination of an advantageous starting time for defragmentation. Due to the variety of and uniqueness of numerous factors, strategies can vary significantly from system to system.

18. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I decided to go with Raxco PerfectDisk Pro 2008

19. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Defraggler, from the makers of CCleaner.... WARNING : BETA ...but has replaced my previous choice.

20. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I've just tried Paragon Total defrag and it does a really good job. When you run it, it reboots and lets windows start. However, instead of doing to the login page, it goes into its own environment where it can move windows system files. Takes around 2 hours on my 70GB partition that has 45GB of data.

21. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Perfectdisk 2008, it optimizes and works the way I prefer by keeping the files from defragmenting longer than others. Also I have PD because of FirstDefense Server & Pro and also for VMWare and for my servers - Small Business Server 2003/Server 2003/08 which it specifically optimizes the Exchange files properly imo.

why is the poll closed?

22. focus

focus Registered Member

I'm using Defraggler on two PC's, (both XP) works well and is Free. No boot file defrag though. It's out of Beta and in RC mode now (how exciting). I'm building PC's now with mostly free software and I like the stuff from Piriform.

I have Perfect Disk on my main system, (Vista U) latest version, works well. If I am going to pay, it would be PD. I have used Diskeeper and O&O in the past. I liked one feature about O&O, you could click on a block on the map and it would tell you what file was there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.