Defragmentation software poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by n8chavez, Mar 19, 2008.

?

What defragmentation do you prefer and why?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2008.
  1. Puran Defrag

1.4%
  2. MST Defrag

5.8%
  3. Windows' Default

15.9%
  4. JKDefrag

18.8%
  5. Disk Keeper

17.4%
  6. O&O Defrag

2.9%
  7. Perfect Disk

34.8%
  8. Raxco

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What defragmentation do you prefer and why? I am interested because I have licenses for both Puran and MST and I want to know peoples' opinions.

2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

MST defrag :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

I love MST Defrag for one simple reason: you install it, and then be done with it! You don't even have to look at the GUI one time. You don't have to configure anything; it works without interrupting anything else. It does not slow down my system when working in the background; it is not noticeable doing its job.

MST defragments in the background as a service ( you can also defragment manualy). If it sees files added or changed to a monitored partition, it determines if the time is optimal to defragment them (i.e. based on system load). It does this efficiently and safely, this contrary to some of the others. No window error reports. I'm using this proggie for a couple of years now, never had a problem with it.

MST, like Dr.Web, is highly underestimated on this forum. MST is a gem !

The price is a steal. The home edition is Euro/U$ 15,90. You can use it with Vista.

http://www.mstsoftware.com/en/Products

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  3. n8chavez

Thank you for you input Egghead. Everything you mentioned are reasons why I'm leaning to MST defrag. Also remember that they have released version 2.

BTW, we have very similar setups. Great minds do indeed think alike.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I currently use Defraggler. Its free, simple, and it lets you defrag individual files.

5. n8chavez

Thank you WSFuser. I apologize for not placing an "Other" option in the poll. By the time I realized it was missing I was unable to edit it. That, the ability to defrag individual files/folders is what MST lacks. There is no context menu integration...as is not hte case with Puran.

6. egghead

I'm using it.

Could have been my words :D

7. egghead

It does not lack: MST defrags these files/folders automatically for you; you don't have to do anything. :cool:

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

contig (individual file/folder defrag) + PageDefrag (boot-time defrag of unmovable files) + JKDefrag (system-wide defragging and file placement)

9. n8chavez

That's not quite what I meant. Yes, files and folder are defragged automatically. However, there is a lack of any sort of feature that would allow a user to specify specifically what folder and/or file to defrag at that moment. Think of Defraggler, of JKDefrag's command line version which could be integrated into the context menu, or even Puran Defrag which can also be integrated.

10. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Perfectdisk for me and have used it for years.

11. Beto

Beto Registered Member

JKDefragg shows what files are being moved which I like. I just wished that it had a log recording where these files are on the disk.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I still depend on and use DiskTrix's Ultimate Defrag. I read some complaints here recently that it's display doesn't accurately depict what's being moved across the platter, i dunno either way, but what i do know is that it still Defrags and moves files enough that i realize a definite performance lift each time i perform a defrag with it.

EASTER

13. rfraser3

rfraser3 Guest

I use a combination of the windows default and IOBit's free one from http://www.iobit.com/ :cool:

It works for me; the only downside is that after a defrag, my incremental backups are much bigger - really annoying when I only want to back up a file if it has changed, not moved! :mad:

Roger

14. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

Diskeeper 2008 is my current favorite from among the defragmenters. Does a great job without any supervision and more importantly does not bog down even my old laptop when it's running in the background. Zero problems with it so far.

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use PerfectDisk 2008 and JKDefragg, but mainly PerfectDisk 2008.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also use PerfectDisk 2008. Periodically I'll experiment, but always come home to PD.

Pete

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Imaging software work on a sector by sector basis, so that's an expected outcome.

18. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

PerfectDisk 2008 is my choice because it has really improved its interface, has boot defrag, new VSS compatible mode, improved over PD 8.

I own UltimateDefrag 1.72, but PerfectDisk 2008 keeps me coming back.

However, UltimateDefrag will have a significantly new version in April. According to the developers they've rewritten the code from the ground up and will improve UltimateDefrag's interface, and defragging algorithms.

19. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Diskeeper for me.My HD is like a highway for large files,and i'm always downloading something.It uses minimal resources for defrag,and it does it fast.I currently used it on vista ultimate.

20. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Still have Win98 and you want to improve the defrag speed ?

Not only better but much faster...so this is what you do

The Windows ME "defrag.exe" file's version number is 4.90.3000,
    and is about 209 kb in size.
    1) Get a copy of the WinME defrag.
    2) Find your existing "defrag.exe" file in the same directory "C:\Windows".
    3)Rename (Select > Right Click > Rename) your existing "defrag.exe" to "defragold.exe", or any name you prefer.
    4) Finally, copy the new (ME) version of "defrag.exe" (No Quotes) into the "C:\Windows" folder.
    That's it. Now just decide what you're going to do with all that extra time.

You can download a copy of the winME defrag.exe from the old sea dog in zip form..works great.
    http://www.the-old-sea-dog.net/defrag.html

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Raxco makes Perfect Disk in several iterations. So you seem to have it in twice sort of spliting the vote?:D

Anyway, FWIW I recently upgraded my licence from v 2007 to 2008.

Reasons: Reliable product supports 64 bit now and can be scheduled to a non busy time on PC.

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

My vote goes with mst defrager,It worked very well on my previous xp lap.

23. n8chavez

No, I'm sorry for that. I meant to put "Other" and not "Raxco" as the last entry. I was not able to change it. It was a mistake. I do not want to appear biased in any way.

24. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Ok! Not a problem. I didn't think it was a bias, just a confusion to which we all suffer from time to time. Your poll is showing a result in any case:thumb:

25. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

Windows default in safe mode is very fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.