Defraggler 2 question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mantra, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

i like this defrag because it's simple and free

one thing i like a lot ;it is the shell menu -> click on a folder -> defrag...

in short i can defrag folders or files from explorer

but i can't understand one thing

does Defraggler 2 consolidate , move files during the defrag ?

because i wanted to defrag my firefox profile , i clicked on the folder(firefox profile folder ) and right click and -- > defrag

but after i wanted to check with ultimatedefrag 3 ,and i find out the files of my firefox profile are still spread and not consolidated

what's wrong?
    should i change some settings?

thanks

2. layman

layman Registered Member

If by "consolidated" you mean "positioned contiguously" - no. I'm not sure any defragger which allows you to defrag a directory actually does that.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

yes i meant "positioned contiguously"

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

nice
    nice program
    there is not shell integration ,isn' it?

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks but

thanks
    i tried it

but again the files are not positioned contiguously

did you test it ?

can you confirm ?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I think Defraggler can move them as well, but not from the right-click menu, you need to do a full system defrag.

11. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure UltimateDefrag is giving you a correct reading. I can't say I've encountered any issues when using Contig before.

You could try Puran Defrag free http://www.puransoftware.com/. It has right click defrag that you like and most definitely consolidates.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

+1...:thumb:..

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    does it has the same feature of the trial version ?

14. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Yes, Same features as the paid version. From there website:

Description: Now get a professional defragmenter for your computer at no price at all.
    This is Puran Defrag Free Edition which is exactly the same as its commercial version
    except you do not need to pay for it.

* Free for private and non-commercial use only.

And better than some other paid defraggers as you've got the boot defrag function for those locked system files. :thumb:

15. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Puran is great. I concur 100%. :)

16. layman

layman Registered Member

Re: thanks but

No, contig just defragments files. It'll put 'em wherever. Years ago, I had a defragger (can't remember which) that optionally would do a depth-first traversal of the directory tree and position every file on the disk accordingly. I'm not aware of any defragger that has ever offered the option of contiguously positioning files in a selected directory. Your best bet for accomplishing such a thing might be to move all the files in the directory to another disk and then move them back, but there'd be no guarantee they would wind up allocated side by side.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    seems to work
    but do you know where does puran put these files?
    i mean in a random place of the partition or ..?

18. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I would say pretty much random.
    I use Auslogics Disk Defrag (for external data HDs) and it can "Defrag" and "Defrag & Optimize". Neither of the options guarantee that the files from the same folder will reside in one contiguos space. "Defrag & Optimize" will simply put existing HD data in one contiguos space to avoid future fragmentation. It scans the drive starting from the beggining and fills the next free cluster with files that reside at the end, and so on.
    But even if you succeed in defragmentig a folder into one contiguos space, except the eye-candy factor of dots lined up together in a defragmenter GUI, I think you won't benefit from it in any way - performance wise. What matters is that the files themselves are defragged so the heads do minimal seeking when opening/executing a file.
    Also, there is no point in defragmenting FF user profile in such a way. After a session or two, the files are going to get heavily fragmented again as the I/O on profile folder is quite high, and you'll end up compulsively repeating the process of profile defragmentation after each FF session...

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does someone know why ubuntu doesn't need to be defragged ?

i mean on a laptop i got installed ubuntu 10.10 , fast and never defragged

20. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

It has to do with the file system and how the OS interacts with it. Windows and NTFS are in a "less cordial" relationship...files are thrown haphazardly on the file system and need defragging sometimes to align them. That's about as much as I know. :) I am sure some others on here can further enlighten us.

21. layman

layman Registered Member

I wouldn't say 'haphazardly' -- there is an allocation scheme at work, intended to optimize the placement of files on the partition. Trouble is, a one-size-fits-all allocation scheme may produce less than optimal results depending on how the disk is being used. The scheme that is used for NTFS in Windows tends to allocate files in clumps. This works quite well for small to medium-sized files, but not very well for large ones. The allocation scheme tends to fragment files to keep them "clumped" and creates (and allocates) its own file system structures to keep track of allocation. These structures themselves clutter the disk space, making it less and less likely that a large file can be allocated to a single contiguous area. As files are deleted and added, free space gets increasingly chopped up so that files become more and more fragmented. Is this a big problem? Not really, but it goes to show that 'optimal' depends on usage. Does 'optimal' mean maximizing contiguous areas of free space by clumping files, or does it mean minimizing file fragmentation? Answer: it depends.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

maybe a dumb question but is ff open or running while you are trying to defrag these files?? if so it will prevent them from being moved with most defrag's if they are in use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.