Defrag

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tiptop78, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiptop78

tiptop78 Registered Member

Hi,
    new to ATI, just to verify a point please. Reading the help manual & the posts here, if I defrag I make a full, not a incremental backup.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That is the recommendation. An imaging program makes a map of in-use sectors rather than do everything through the files system which is much slower. When you de-frag you move the in-use sectors and to the imaging program this looks like data changes and it then will back them all up. Much better to just make a new backup when this happens because you will likely end up with an incremental or differential about the same size as the original.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I find it easier to schedule any defragging around the full backups, not the other way around - if that makes sense.

4. tiptop78

tiptop78 Registered Member

Thank you for your answers, I was a bit confused over this. The scheduling of full backups and defrag, seems a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.