Defrag Wipes Out Vista Boot Rec

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by PhilK, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilK

PhilK Registered Member

I have Hard Disk Manager™, version 2009., build 6730 (26.09.08 )Suite. Last night I started the defragmentation process on my boot c: drive. The prompt said it needed to restart the PC to I think reread the C: drive. It went throught the restart process but I ended up with a screen that said: Boot from A: followed on the next line with Win Vista/2008 and then with Insert Startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup. This of course did not work. I finally had to run repair from a command prompt and repair/rebuild my Mbr, boot and Bcd. Got Vista Business up and running but am unsure if I can trust this program now. Any thoughts?

Philo_O

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Re: Degrag Wipes Out Vista Boot Rec

Hello PhilK

Is your system 64bit? I know once in awhile, we have bugs with the 64bit after startup, but running from the recovery cd works flawlessly.

3. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Re: Degrag Wipes Out Vista Boot Rec

Hi PhilK,

Sometimes this problem is encountered when attempting to use our restart environment to carry out a task that cannot be run inside Windows, when there is a non-standard MBR. Once you have rewritten it using Windows recovery (or our recovery CDs), startup entries in our program often will work just fine from then on.

The Recovery CD is a great option, especially since you have to restart the system to defrag in most cases, but if that is not your preference then I suggest you try once more. This issue will not cause any permanent harm, but you will need to update your MBR again if it repeats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.