defrag + true image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by donwan, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donwan

donwan Guest

is true image compatable with Diskeeper defrag software? as other bk-up sft. ware is noto_O

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The only effect of defrag software is to cause subsequent differential/incremental backs to be larger because the defrag moves files.

3. donwan

donwan Guest

Prof

thank u for the reply: i am in the 3rd trial week of nortons ghost and disabled backingup c: As the ext. drv's f: has been unable to auto defrag using diskkeeper. C: and g: are defraging accuratley. When conacting norton i received a responce to uninstall diskkeeper? no thank u.

Q. does true 10.0 allow auto defrag of the created images of the f: drv.?

thanks Howard for your time.......

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Re: Prof

There is little if any real value to defragging backup images. Any savings in fiel read times will be imperceptible given all the other overhead in doing a restore. But whatever benefit there might be, albeit miniscule, it comes at a terrific price, since defraggin really large files usually is a very slow and ponderous process. So you might take hours to defrag a 14 GB image from two fragments into one and the only gain in read speed would be measured in a handful of nanoseconds.

I use ATI and Raxco's PerfectDisk on all my machines and never had any conflicts between the two. PerfectDisk has a "stealh mode" where it runs during otherwise idle PC time, if that's what you want but you can domanual or scheduled defrags too. But I wouldn't bother to defrag the drives where I put backup images -- it's like build a huge bank buidling with a giant vault to hold a few pennies.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Re: Prof

Shucks, you beat me to it.

I agree that Perfect Disk is better than Diskkeeper.
    Do not do background defrags.
    The only benefit to defragging archive drives is likely speeding up verifys.
    If you do not refresh the full backup often, then thgere will be a lot of fragmented .tib files, which will be slower in verification.

6. donwan

donwan Guest

Prof

THANK U HOWARD AND shieber, I WILL NOT DEFRAG THE IMAGES.
    I WILL KEEP "ATI and Raxco's PerfectDisk " IN A FAVORITES FILE, AS I HAVE A TWO YEAR SUB ON D KEEPER. I AM SO GLAD I STOPPED IN TO ACRONIS LAND. YOU ARE DA BEST donwan :-*

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

8. donwan

donwan Guest

Prof

al, that older post was just what i was looking for, thanks u for the tip.

i will reread those posts

thanks again
    donwan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.