Defrag opinions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Huupi, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Same reasons I had to dump PD, lately even on a freshly installed system it wouldn't find defragmented system files and even with files added it would tell me no passes needed. Also program access keept getting slower and slower.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

In earlier posts I was fairly rude about Ultimate Defrag being far from Ultimate.
    It only seems fair then to say that UD 2008 is a completely different and much improved program. No other defrag program that I have used comes close. Most
    stuff is simply archived away allowing the program to deal with a fraction of the data - more quickly and more efficiently.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i just tried it maybe a month or two ago and there was no boot time defrag? so they def have added this feature? and this is disktrix we are talking about right??

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Attached Files:

• UD.png
      UD.png
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  5. zfactor

hmm nice ill have to ry it out.. what is the most comparable method to the smart placement in pd2008??

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Compact.......thats closest to aggressive smart placement in PD.

7. zfactor

okay i just reinstalled and i can not find boot time anywhere?? maybe im simply overlooking it?? also i got a instant blue screen after restarting right aftre the install??

8. zfactor

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes.........

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes, not even close, did several boot defrags with Ultra but it shows everytime 0 files to defrag,just compared it with PD analyse and showed 4 % defragged system files,so what is right ? After boot defrag with PD subsequent analyse show 0 defragged files. Hard to get to a right conclusion about,at the moment i don't trust either.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

UD defragmented my new install of Windows during boot time showing around 6% fragmentation. It works and the speed and loading times show its effectiveness.

12. zfactor

ahh i see.. does it run with vista?

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not in Vistax64 due an unsigned driver, but it might in Vistax32.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

15. zfactor

just tried uninstalling perfectdisk 2008 twice and i get blue screen when rebooting...

16. Arup

Arup Guest

I was lucky with my uninstall, try it in safe mode.

17. zfactor

so vista 32 is fine with this?? before i try installing it.. wow i thught we were talking about disktrix this whole time lol..

18. zfactor

wow seems so basic so you guys really like this better than perfect disk??

19. zfactor

i believe you are also thinking as i was that this is the disktrix ultimate defrag but its really the program called ultra defrag which is not the same thing

20. Dragon1970

Dragon1970 Registered Member

What's the minimum amount of free space necessary for running UltraDefrag?

21. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I wonder if UD's "defragment at boot time" is really equivalent to PD's "Offline Defrag of System Files", ....which happens at boot time.

A defragger that only does online defrags ...occurring at boot time, would leave the same system files unreported and un defragged; whereas a program that can do a true "offline defrag of system files" would see and report them, as reported by PD.

I don't know if this is the way it is, I am just speculating, because I know that just a few weeks ago it was repiorted that UD could not do an offline defrag of system files. Yet it clearly has a menu option for "boot time defrag"

It just occurred to me that I am probably confusing 'Ultradefrag" with "Ultimate Defrag...by Disktrix"; which I confuse by thinking "UD" for both.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Confusing thread indeed,for the record Ultimate Defrag from DiskTrix can't do boottime defrag while Ultra Defrag can do,but as to its effectiveness with defragging system files at boot is IMO schrouded in clouds,have to test it something further.

23. zfactor

yeah i dont seem to have much luck with this ultra defrag so far either..

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Zfactor,

Exactly what problems are you facing with UD 1.34?

25. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I am curious about UD's claim of being able to place files towards the 'outer edges of the platter' for faster access, for a few reasons.

(1) Modern HDDs have not just one, but multiple platters (and consequently, r/w heads) . So, how does this UD defragger detect and place files correctly?

(2) What if the drive is partitioned? What defines the 'outer edge' then?

(3) How does the defragger have access at the physical level i.e. control over the physical location of the file on the platter(s). From my understanding, no defragger has such control, rather it's the HDD's own drive controller that decides where to put what after receiving a request from the file system. The physical mapping of the blocks on the platter may or may not correspond to the mapping of the logical blocks; especially when the "drive map" is represented as a single platter.

(4) Since the file system sees a RAID as only a single drive, how exactly does UD decide to put stuff on the 'outer edges', in say a RAID 0 setup?

Or, I may also have misunderstood the whole thing, in which case, I'll gladly be corrected.:D

My thoughts arise from the very informative paper on the Diskeeper website that I found recently.

http://downloads.diskeeper.com/pdf/new-storage-technologies.pdf

And in particular, this quote
    "If there is one key piece of data to remember after reading this document, it is that a disk file system is abstracted from the actual underlying hardware and software that make up the storage subsystem. In other words, those same underlying disk systems (software and hardware) have no knowledge of what the file system is doing."

So, if someone can throw some light on the subject and tell me if I am right/wrong....:)

Also, I have been using Diskeeper very happily for many months now, without any problems whatsover. Currently on the 2008 pro edition, and it always does an excellent job on the drives. I've also never found it to interfere with anything; infact, I did check with FRAPS a couple of times, and the Dk service running in the background has absolutely no negative impact on fps in Mass Effect, Oblivion, GRiD etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.