DefenseWall & ???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ed_H, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have DefenseWall running on my wife's laptop. It is perfect for her as she likes to click OK/Allow for everything. My question is what to run with DW. I am trying to find an AV just so she doesn't send malware to someone else. Surprisingly, there was a big drag on the system with Avira free. I have Avast! runing there now and there is a bit of a slowdown but it is minimal. Maybe A2 on demand only. What do you think is good for click happy wives?

2. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

DW and windows firewall... And that's it!

Of course the best would be she is already under LUA...

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have in my wife's pc DefenseWall with prevx and no slowdown at all:thumb:

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

How do I make sure she doesn't send malware to a friend? DW will cripple it on her laptop but that won't help people she sends email to.

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I hadn't thought about Prevx. Are you pretty comfortable with it? I have yet to see any 3rd party review on its effectiveness.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think this is probably ur best option

7. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I use Prevx and it's brilliant you know!
    Really good piece of software. Should be good along with DW.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you have internet connection no problem:D

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap;) also i dont like system hogs programs at all:)

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346861,00.asp - Prevx themselves consider the test to do them justice in terms of methodology and approach in the test.

11. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Well, malware is not running when received from email, is it?
    People don't have to click on anything, have they?
    Each individual has the responsability of his own computer, hasn't he?

More seriously, you are right on the principle. But unfortunately, active, malware spread when they are mostly unrecognized. So the probability to receive an active malware unrecognized is close to max. The probability to receive a non active malware recognized is close to 0. Antivirus softwares are supposed to handle the first phase, which they don't, and mostly cover the second one, which is useless. As a proof, you can compare it to a flu epidemic.

It is up to you and your wife, at the end...

12. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

If you have a slowdown and you think it's because of DW- just mail me to support, I'll help.

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks Ilya! She seems to be getting slowdowns with several combinations of security software. I am planning to reload the OS in the next few days...hopefully that will fix the problem. I will let you know if DW seems to be an issue after that.

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

MSE runs nice with DW, see picture

Effect of these settings: no scheduled scan, only check on writes of new arrivals (downloads and mail attachements). Default action levels are changed to Severe = remove, High = remove, Medium = quarantaine, Low = quarantaine. This way MSE is silent. You can check history from time to time.

When using DW, Keyscrambler free for IE is a nice add-on. Be sure to set options (right click KeyScrambler Icon when IE has started), Display (the 2nd tab) to Show Icon only (second option of SHOW radio button).

Although DW protects against Active -X and Browser Plug-ins, I have WinPatrol with all aspects turned of (when using the free, now bought Plus and have set them to accept silently so I can check the history), except Active-X, IE-helpers and search defaults checking for changes. This to give a pop-up when my wife installs another browser helper (nuisance protection through preventive user nuisance :)

Another reason to use WinPAtrol is the delayed execution of the A2cmd /U execution to update A2Free Dutch, which she promised to use when she would send other people files (just as a precaution a second scanner, plus MSE right click option does not scan files, but triggers a pop-up).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

See previous mail. I found Avira Free useless, because it only denies (ignores) access. Clicking okay to a download just kept the file sitting there. Because you do not need an AV when using DW, I had disabled the read on acces scanner of Avira (saves CPU cycles and disk access, to check at writes only). Avast has all the correct options but not an auto quarantaine in the free version. AVG has a silent remove/quarantaine option in the free version but lacks Anit-Rootkit protection in the free version. So for people using GesWall Pro or DefenseWall needing an AV which checkjed at download or reception of mail attachements, MSE is a good freebie.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.