Defensewall V3 Beta Official Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Scoobs72, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Right-click on DW tray icon and then on "disable inbound firewall protection" select "stop protection permanently" then repeat on "disable outbound firewall protection". This will create a second tray icon showing firewall is turned off. You can also change registry value see: http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=97701&view=findpost&p=251340 (post #812). This will revert DW back to a HIPS only program.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Can anyone direct me to a downloadable defensewall help file or manual pls? I wanna try ver 2.56 freebie out but causes high cpu if I run it via virtualbox so I need to read up a bit on it first before installing.

Just a question though, if I'm running as admin on an XP system and install defensewall, will defensewall limit application rights globally or just for programs on its protection list? And before I forget, are there any known issues running defensewall and sandboxie together?

Thanks.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

There is a online help file

http://www.softsphere.com/online-help/defensewall/

As far as I know there is no problem to run DW and Sandboxie together. In fact I did test Sandboxie a couple of months ago and I never had any problem.:)

4. guest

guest Guest

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Some techniques there are too outdated.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

SBIE plus DW work excellent together, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255963

DefenseWall protection is limited to applications listed (and directories when you add them) as untrusted (in the default list). All objects (processes & files) created by untrusted processes and files/directories will inherite the untrusted status and hence will be capsulated in the stronger than LUA policy sandbox of DW. You can specify download directories of which untrusted objects will be automatically protected from access by untrusted processes after 30 days or so. You can also specify defense excludes (objects placed in those directories are not captured in the policy sandbox). For the real wizzards it is possible (unique quality of DW) to seperate untrusted from untrusted in resource protection. Lastly there is a roll back option when you want to selectively remove untrusted objects (Jmonge is a real rollback malware destroyer knight). I used to play with resource protection. From version 2.48 Ilya has perfected the resource protection, so it is good as it is (e,g protecting mail identities from other untrusted resources to prevent bots in your browser reading your contact list etc = all works by default).

DW really is a boring, set and forget application. It works silently and perfectly on my wife's PC. I never have to look at it, that is why I started playing with SRP and ACL and registry tweaks of the OS myself. Playing with malware and DW is like throwing rocks at a tank, everything bounces, no malware comes through. Malware is nothing more than an futile event in the log files, at best (in rare occasions) a reference in the roll back list.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is easy and rock solid;) the best:D

9. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I can't reach DW's website. I guess there is plenty downloading going on.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very bussy:D

11. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Congrats on the RC, Ilya. I know you have put a lot of work into it. :thumb:

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Congratulations :D

14. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

Yes congrats. Running very smooth

15. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

same here

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

DWF has gone final now?

#thx

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. Tony

Tony Registered Member

No its RC1 :thumb:

18. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

I had 3 BSODs when trying out defensewall RC1 ... my setup is on my siggy ... the BSODs happen first when I was running FF untrusted under ultraVPN and sandboxie, next BSOD was when running camfrog untrusted then when I was burning a dvd using converxtodvd, any body knows of any incompatibility?

19. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Send an email to support on it. Ilya will look after it for sure.

-support - at - softsphere - com -

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  20. Ilya Rabinovich

Get minidump files (it's .dmp files onto your c:\windows\minidump folder), get dwall.sys from your c:\windows\system32\drivers folder, zip all and send me to the support e-mail.

21. Ilya Rabinovich

Could you obfuscate the support e-mail?

22. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

man sorry I just uninstalled RC1 ... I can't find those files that you needed. Will try to reinstall on VM and will try to recreate error.

23. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Ilya, just some info. With the steam game service, it's to run as trusted, as the game 'platform' can't run without admin rights. Needs to install a service. I noticed however, the game would load (as trusted), but it wouldn't connect to the server. Only until I disable inbound and outbound protection in DefenseWall it would connect properly.

I tried adding the three main processes as untrusted, and adding the three processes to the firewall to be able to connect (allowed) as untrusted.

Steam.png

Ran the program untrusted (which doesn't load) and ran it as trusted - still wouldn't connect.

I looked at the events log, and noticed that two ports were being blocked.

Steam 2.png

Steam 3.png

So I excluded those two ports from inbound protection. Now when I run the program as trusted, program works fine. :) Just checking, this ok to allow these two ports to be excluded from inbound protection? I tested the firewall at all the relevant sites, even tested those two ports, and both are still stealthed.

Steam 4.png

In case any other steam users ask, either protection can be disabled while playing, or these ports can be excluded (27005 and 137) from inbound protection, and steam service (run as trusted) works perfectly.

24. Ilya Rabinovich

Steam issue is fixed with new build.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  25. Ilya Rabinovich

Tell me your Windows version at least.

Edited: found one important issue may lead to BSOD's, so, download and check the latest build I just uploaded.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.