DefenseWall "shatter" in event log

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kvernick, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvernick

kvernick Registered Member

What is a the event type, shatter, listed under the DW event log? Eudora email client is listed as trying to talk to multiple processes it should probably have no honest business talking to. For example, listed under Eudora:
    Attemps to send message 3E0 into the window of the process C:\Program Files\Symantec Client Security\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe.​

And many others, including explorer and apparently all the security programs. I think acrobat was doing something similar the other day.

Should I be worried about this? If you google shatter attack, it doesn't sound good...

2. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

That's refferring to a "shatter attack"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatter_attack

I would assume most of what you are seeing is harmless, a process sending some sort of message to another process. If it is harmful, well DW has stopped it ;)

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

This message is wildly used by meny programs, so, within the next, 1.74 version, this message number will be disconcontinued from blocking as shattered.

4. kvernick

kvernick Registered Member

OK, that doesn't sound bad (probably). Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.