DefenseWall saved my bacon:):)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I have just checked task manager and all seems to be running well concerning cpu usage etc.

When i checked Anvir task manager, Defensewall still seems to be creating a lot of disk activity.

So i looked again in Task manager, enabled column I/O Other Bytes and Defensewall seems to be using a lot of whatever I/O Other Bytes is?

Attached Files:

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I/O other bytes dont hurt (memory cache), so would not worry about it.

3. controler

controler Guest

Trying DW for the first time. It does not appear to be a good idea to click check for update after installing 2.53. I did that and after update, I ended up with version 2.52 LOL
    Do I have to uninstall 2.52 & reinstall 2.53 now?

Thanks

con

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My OA firewall uses Hips, so if I installed DW, would the two apps conflict or can they exist side by side? :)

5. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I see.

Thank you :thumb:

That is because 2.53 is still a test release.
    As 2.52 is the latest stable release then any version other than 2.52 will be updated to that version.

I would not think it will be long before 2.53 is released so it is up to you whether you reinstall 2.53 or stick with 2.52.

You never have to uninstall with defensewall just install over the top and then reboot.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You can install pre-2.53 on old version since there is no need to uninstall previous version before installation new one.

7. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Nope, i use that configuration without any single issue :thumb:

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Because 2.52 is the latest official released version. Pre-2.53 is, right now, the final test build. Hope to release it soon if no issues will be found.

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

And so how do you isolate and test any malware samples that you may want or need to upload to antimalware vendors?

Wilders folks need to start thinking that Wilders folks are easily and fully protected but through all their security setups which unfortunately don't reflect on the vast majority of inet users.

And yep, I'm as guilty as anybody here..

Think outside the Wilders world for a real world scenario for a change!

10. Kees1958

AD 1 The only reason I have antivir on my wife's laptop (with defensewall) is to prevent her from spreading malware. Because of DW malware is irrelevant (can't do no harm), but I took this precaution to protect others. Uploading is simple with DW, so I do not get your point.

AD 2, see 1

11. Franklin

Good news Ilya, but noticed a big update a coupla days after I PM'd you those several dozen "virut" samples with no thanks or acknowledgement like I got from all the other vendors?

12. Franklin

Kees, the only point you've ever got is your own.:mad:

13. Kees1958

Hmm does that hurt, getting your own point? I still have no clue about the point you are making? So please eleborate

14. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have that combo running now along with Avira. There is a definite drag on the system. I'll try it without Avira.

Have you done anything special in terms of setup?

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you will find out it will speed up. I am really finding a severe drag over time in Avira 9.

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I notice only little (~20-30sec) slow down during boot but this is because Online Armor. I haven't done any special configuration.

17. Franklin

No, the only thing that hurts is your constant parroting of is "I know best".

I will elaborate on what I think are excellent security apps with no system drag even though I haven't tried a couple and only going on esteemed members opinions here (excluding you of course):
    Sandboxie
    Defensewall
    Returnil
    Shadow Defender
    Geswall
    And maybe some others?

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

OT, but a little unfair I think.

Kees's posts/threads have been a lot of help to me and I am sure lots of other members here.

The fact that English is not his first language maybe contributes to your interpretation of his intent. Certainly on my part I hope he continues to post as much as he does at the present time.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Agreed, Kees posts add a lot to this place and his insight is of great value.

20. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I also agree..Kees posts are very informative and an asset to the forum.

21. Franklin

Blimey, where do ya all come from?

22. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I can't understand exactly what do you mean, but if I forgot to say "thank you"- I'm terribly sorry. Sometimes happens, I' m just very busy with all this work.

23. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello Franklin,

Kees and others are entitled to layering security around DefenseWall(DW) for personal or practical reasons. As for me, over the past two years I have tested countless(several hundred) of the nastiest and most destructive malware samples that I could get my hands on to attempt to bypass DW. Not surprisingly, DW has earned my respect and utmost confidence as a stand-alone security application as it has yet to let me down. When all is said and done, I am living proof that with some knowledge and experience, one can safely do away with layered security and be well protected with "only" DW and the Windows firewall.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  24. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I don't think we are going to start anything with this direction.
    Kees has always been helpful and is a valuable asset ... end of story.
    Lets get back on topic.
    Cheers :)

25. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Yes, sure. Paying an antimalware program, and afterwards being used by the vendor as a malware collector is certainly a great marketing idea. Especially when eventually you would be infected anyway... For the people wishing to give a hand, welcome.

Guess what, I have no security setup, in the common sense as I have no security program installed. I am just using the features of my OS.
    And guess what, I have the impression I go in the right direction for one good reason: all OSes go in this direction, even M$. Strengthening by default, hence preserving usability.

And I can tell you people would feel better in the real world with such a kind of "setup", as my parents who don't know what a virus means, even when they receive infected stuff from their friends; the very same one complaining because they have problems with their computer...

I agree I am promoting something which is not fully understood or known by usual users. But I force nobody to follow my opinion.

Concerning your "personnal attacks" to Kees, it surely doesn't honour you.

And please, when you decide to "help" somebody, don't expect any feedback. It would just prove that you did it for yourslef, and actually not to help. At the end, if a thank comes back, you will receive happily anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.