Defensewall or Gswall or Sandboxie ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iphone, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iphone

iphone Registered Member

Thank's to all for your help.

I see that each software are good software.

I have look on each software (on the web site).
    I undestand GsWall (policy restriction)
    I undestand Sandboxie (Sandbox for "write" access ...)

I have look to defensewall too but i am not sure to understand how defensewall protect computer.
    Is it a "sandbox" like sandboxie or a policy restriction like Gswall or a mixed ?

I see that Defenswewall track registry, files ... and can rollback !

(Thretfire do that too if i understand)

I have read many post on Wilders and all says that Defensewall is a good product.

I just want to understand the + of DefenseWall.

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

DefenseWall is a pure policy-based sanbox (its registry virtualization part is so little you may forget about it). It's working on driver-lever pre-defined security ruleset (allow-deny) + new resource protection section (granular resources access to protect your sensitive information from being hijacked). Its rollback feature is limited (it can't rollback files modified) and, mostly, made in order to allow advanced users manually remove malware from hard disks.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ilya

Is it in your opinion redundant or would the favor of an addition of adding SandboxIE as an additional security measure be redundant or add another safe advisement to increase security?

EASTER

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Well, to tell the truth- I don't know. If you feel yourself more safer running both- why not? As about other security products- AV scanner could be useful for many users.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

In a general sense a developper should know about past and current treats and act accordently in developping his software,stating that ''I don't know'' is at least doubtfull remark.

To be on top of the ever evolving security business a developper should be in touch with the other solutions provided and exactly can differentiate between them and see where they supplement each other or where they are overkill or redundant if used at the same time.
    So Sandboxie and DefenceWall targed the same kind of treats but in a different way and to hear you saying that '' If you feel more safe '' is quite a statement that is useless in helping the questioner ! ;)

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, I would say OA Run Safer and DW should work well together all though somewhat redundant. I run OA Run Safer and Sandboxie together, and it works fine. Redundant in protection, but I like the fact Sandboxie makes the stuff go away.

Pete

7. aliennode

aliennode Registered Member

Can someone post step by step tutorial how to configure Sandboxie and Defensewall?
    What to actually configure

8. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Easter,

I had a problem using SandboxIE when it was combined with OA and DefenseWall. I had to abandon DefenseWall in the end.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Add all of them: GW, DW, SBIE and BZ.

It will increase the security greatly. Nothing will be able to execute, i hope. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You could try their websites.
    Defensewall Help
    Sandboxie FAQ's

11. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello MikeNAS,

I have noticed in your signature that you are running Shadow Defender(SD) alongside DefenseWall(DW). FYI, according to the link below SD is known to conflict with DW. For that reason and having experienced some conflicts myself, I have temporarily uninstalled SD and have replaced it with Returnil 2008 Personal Edition(free) for malware testing purposes.

http://shadowdefender.com/download.html

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Could somebody please tell me how I can run DefenseWall, GeSWall, ZoneAlaram Forcefield, Bufferzone, Sandboxie, SafeSpace, Virtual Sandbox, Returnil, ShadowServer, PowerShadow, Altris, Windows Steady State, Virtual Box, Virtual PC2007, VMware together with OA runsafer and EQSecure Sandbox?

Im am not paranoia, just carefull. Any tips to increase the security of my anti-malware multi multi multi multi multi layered setup would be appreciated. I am sorry to hijack this topic OR is nearly the same as AND.

By the way I have 80486 PC with 64MB ram

Thanks

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Plus it helps to save time as you don't have to reboot your computer to clean your system after browsing.

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My suggestion is to load everything ,re-boot and stand back.

15. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Um err Kees, I don't see any blacklist scanners in your list.:rolleyes:

Maybe add SAS and Kav realtime and another stick of ram! :D

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I do not need a blacklist scanner, I have created a black hole for malware with all these sandboxes and although it is virtual I know where my PC is, so no need to scan where it is.

By the way my high speed cable connection is working flawlessly, I can see the pixels loading. Did you know that with this incredible build up I can even read the hidden morse code of the screen pixels!

P - A - R - A - N - O - I - A

:cool:

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Whatever works. :D
    Thats why theres so many differant setups here.
    GesWall has never slowed down my pc.
    I had problems myself with earler versions of DefenseWall, but 2.3 and then upgrading to 2.4 is working flawlessly. :thumb:
    Sandboxie may slow opera from starting a few seconds here, but after i'm online thats where the slow down stops. Lightning fast. At least here it is.

18. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I know that but I don't have any problems... Can you tell more?

19. aliennode

Do I just have to close a Sandboxie browser after use or have to select delete contents after using a browser each time?

20. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello MikeNAS,

When I was running SD alongside DW, I experienced excessive hard drive activity, above average to excessive registry and file fragmentation and some file corruption(had to run CHKDSK). While I can not confirm as I do not have it installed, it is possible that SD may interfere with DW's protection functionality.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

21. LoneWolf

Just check the box and don't forget to hit apply.
    When you close your browser the contents of the sandbox will be gone.

Attached Files:

22. aliennode

Hey
    I cannot save pictures while in Sandbox browser
    How do I save pictures to desktop or to my pictures folder while in Sandbox browser please?

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It will save them. When you close your browser it should pop up asking you if you wish to save if you have selected the option in Sandboxie.

24. aliennode

Whereabouts is that?
    Also Ifound my logins are not being saved o_Oo_O

25. LoneWolf

You can check the box for immediate recovery.

2008-05-16_162303.png

Of course if your unsure if something in your sandbox is nasty or not I would
    (and I do) scan the questionable object with all on my pc as well as with VirusTotal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.