Defensewall or Gswall or Sandboxie ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iphone, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iphone

iphone Registered Member

Hello,

I want to add a Sandbox HIPS to my PC.
    I have read messages about Defensewall, Gswall, sandboxie ... but i don't see the big differences between this product.

What is for you the best of this products (and the main differences ?).

Thank's for your help.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'm sure someone here can explain better then myself but i'll give it a shot.
    DefenseWall is a Policy Based HIPS.
    From GesWall's website : GeSWall is intrusion prevention system that is non-intrusive and easy to use.
    http://www.gentlesecurity.com/desktop.html
    http://www.gentlesecurity.com/features.html
    Sandboxie is a sandbox. Anything in the sandbox will be gone when I close my browser.
    They all offer excellant protection IMO.
    Currently I'm using DefenseWall and Sandboxie together. Great combo.
    If I let something bad out of the Sandbox, DW still runs it as untrusted.
    Warning though...GesWall and Sandboxie together is not good. I had a very bad crash with that combo.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, Avira and Sandboxie are a better combo. Still my all time favorite for detection, protection and lightness. Defensewall is good but I can never can get it to work correctly for me, which means the issue is on my side. Geswall will slow down over time without a reboot and Sandboxie may slow browser just a tad.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

iphone,
    The best is the one I'm able to use properly and that is backed up by willing knowledgeable suport staff.
    I tried Geswall a month ago and had a question.
    I posted the question in their support forum.
    4 days later no response.
    So I politely stated that I do not purchase from companies that don't even take the time to answer simple questions.
    They removed the thread.
    Go figure.
    (Horizon Datasys did the same with a trial of FDISR Rescue. They didn't get my money either.)
    My wife uses Sandboxie. That makes me a happy camper. She would download Satan if she felt like it and would never understand why I was becoming a tad upset.
    And I'll be installing Defensewall when I build my new pc. Waiting for Bush bucks to arrive.
    I've had a positive experience with Ilya ahile back when I couldn't even install his product for a trial. He was very willing to do what was needed to help me.
    Very impressive.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

IMHO Sandboxie Is great.It Does what it says,when there is needs for a patch/update Seems quick and well supported and Is one of the best of the best free products I ever used.It puts some or most paid products to shame.That said, Sandboxie teamed up with a good AV = great protection.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Defensewall and sandboxie are a good combo if you're looking for tight security. I have licenses for both but i find that defensewall by itself is enough for my needs. I might engage sandboxie if i decide to venture into the dark side of the web but thats a rare occassion.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

All are good. Try them one by one and see what u like.

8. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I used Sandboxie for a couple of weeks and have since moved onto DefenseWall. I find that policy based sandboxes like DefenseWall are just a lot more convenient to use.

With Sandboxie, everything you do with sandboxed processes is done.. well.. inside the sandbox. This includes everything you intentionally download. To access your downloads, you have to move them outside the sandbox later and to do that, you use Quick Recovery. So for someone like myself who downloads often, having to use Quick Recovery all the time is a huge nuisance. Not to mention, once you do recover them, you're not protected from those files in case they do happen to be malicious.

Yes, you can have the files be automatically recovered by giving the sandbox direct or full access to your download folder but I don't like the idea of that, security wise.

With DefenseWall, it's pretty useable out of the box. Downloads through untrusted processes always end up untrusted themselves. No having to recover downloaded files all the time or whitelisting processes so that only certain ones can run in the sandbox only to come upon a file and not being able to open it.

Ending my short sandboxie rant and recommending DefenseWall. Of course, all three can be used freely or one a 30 day trial basis so give them all a try and see which you like best

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not quite true. For most of what I download I just recover it, and I don't worry, but if I am suspicious I right click it and run it in a separate sandbox, that allows no internet access. Then if it's good fine, but if not I just clean sandbox and delete the file.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very good and accurate advice. That's the best way to utilize it and for them both together with DW it's a bonus.

I'm not sure how Run Safer (OA) & DW would do together, perhaps Peter2150 can weigh in on that particular combo if it's useful or redundant or not.

EASTER

11. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

If you're looking for a free solution. Between GeSWall or SandboxIE I would recommend GeSWall.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi iphone. All of the mentioned sandboxes are good and each works a little different. It's probably important to let us know what you normally do with you computer and if the user/s are computer literate. For example, if you have other people using the computer that are newbies, then one of the policy based sandboxes might work well in your situation.

You might also consider SafeSpace and as far as I know it's free. No matter which you decide to go with, spend a little time learning about the program, how it works and it's settings.

13. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I'm using DefenseWall and Sandboxie. Perfect combo.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How do you combine DefenseWall & Sandboxie ?
    Run DefenseWall as a sandboxed application in Sandboxie OR
    run Sandboxie as an untrusted application in DefenseWall ?

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Looks like the latter would be more safe but i'll let MikeNAS answer that.

Because to me anyway it seems if you run SandboxIE as untrusted in DW you're double protected in event of anything clever that would climb out the Sandbox.

Good question though and MikeNAS goes to extremes in security setups that i like. Got a lot of useful pointers from him how to configure SandboxIE. LoL

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

When you run a sandboxed web browser, defensewall automatically runs the browser and sandboxie as untrusted.

17. MikeNAS

I run most of my programs inside of Sandboxie and same time untrusted with DefenseWall. DefenseWall is outside of Sandboxie and Sandboxie is trusted program in DefenseWall. Not sure if this is best way to use both?! Actually haven't even tried to use any other method :D I trust 100% to those programs.

With this way Sandboxie and DefenseWall protects my personal data so there is double protection. If I sometime want to recovery something to my real machine then it's still untrusted via DefenseWall. Of course I can run it inside of Sandboxie too. Again double protection.

With newest DW and it resource protection combination is even stronger. I can add what ever I want to in that list. Only specified untrusted process can access to those files so now I don't have to play so much with Sandboxie ClosedFilePath.

Best of all is that DW offers very good system file protection and awesome roll back feature.

After all one is enough(?) but I'm happy with both :argh:

18. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

SBIE has proved itself to my satisfaction without any slowdown at all. I will probable try out GeSWall as it comes with poster recommendations.

Remember to use the customary anti malware apps in conjunction with SBIE for better performance--catch a virus and thus prolong surfing without resetting/rebooting.

19. MikeNAS

I'm gonna test that solution on next weekend. If everything working fine then I switch to that. With that way I can set up nice SB file protection via DW resouce protection. I have feeling that Sandboxie is trusted in my DW list but I have to check that later.

20. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

That's true. It slipped my mind. Still, I've been quite happy so far when DefenseWall. I like SandboxIE but it's definitely not for everyone.

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I am a Sandboxie fanboy which I have been using/beta testing since about version 1.6 and suits my needs just fine.

Defensewall and Geswall are excellent security apps and may I suggest any newcomers to these three apps to toss a coin as to which one to try first.

SafeSpace could also be included.

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Farmerlee & MikeNas,
    Thanks, I will look in this. I also have a paid version of each and I also believe that this is a stronger protection. After all they use a total different method and won't conflict with eachother.
    The more malware I kill immediately, the better. :D

23. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i didnt read all thread in here coz i HARD VOTE for sandboxie.
    the best from all its kind software , give user all he needed + much more after deep in and learn it :D

cheers :cautious:

24. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Then why you never asked for support? You know, I can't fix things I know nothing about. My support e-mail is well-known, so- welcome and lets find out what is going on.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Ilya

In your expert opinionIs it beneficial to use DW as a first line of defense and then add sandboxIE within DW for an eVen more secure protection strategy?

Seems like lto me ike that would be the best strategy.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.