DefenseWall / GESwall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

This is NOT a question about which is better, but the question is, are they similar ?
    I'm tring DefenseWall (again) which so far is working great and i'm wondering if these two work the same way.
    Do they both protect against the same things ?
    Anyone use both before ?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Lonewolf,

On two different PC's we had DefenseWall and GesWall Pro. Difference between them form the user perspective is that DefenseWall never needed additional configuration.
    I think there both on par consering defense strength. DefenseWall is purely a soft sandbox (only policy restriction). GeSWall uses mmc policy restriction and some virtualisation. I can not proof this but I think GeSWall virtualises some additional registry entries also. On the other and DefenseWall has an roll back option. GeSWall 2.7 will have a simular sort of thing and the same monitor as DefenseWall now has.

We have DefenseWall + A2 IDS + WinPooc additional registry and file protection on the machie of my wife and had GeSWall pro and Cyberhawk pro on the PC of my son (he has a new vista64 now, so we have temporarely setup a different defense).

GeSWall will allow you more choices (for instance allow an untrusted ap like mail, get access to confidential directories). They both fitted their purpose (strong + user friendly = DW and strong + configurable = GW), so I could not tell which one to choose.

Regards Kees

Both

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

They are (AFAIK) the only two policy-based sandboxes. Both provide similar protection and are closely related.

4. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Policy-based HIPS (like DefenseWall and GesWall) seem to get a lot of positive feedback from a lot of Wilder's members, and it seems that it will be a good addition to my present set-up.

I've tried classical HIPs in the past (e.g., System Safety Monitor), but I just don't like being bombarded by pop-ups all the time, so i'm using a non-signature behavioural blocker (i.e., Threatfire) right now.

I'm willing to try both of them, but I'd like to know the following:

1) Does anyone have a screenshot of the memory/CPU usage of both GesWall and Defensewall?
    2) Do both of them uninstall completely (i.e., not leaving unnecessary files & registry entries)?
    3) Does either GesWall or DefenseWall conflict with any of the programs in my signature?

Thanks in advance to the responders!

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

1. See screenshot.(sorry,only have geswall to show)
    2. Don't know,I generly use rollback rx to remove programs.Like they were never there.
    3. Every system is differant. I've learned there's really only one way to find out.

Attached Files:

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think DW too uses virtualization just like GW( registry virtialization). Both don,t virtualize the files.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

DW uses even less memory than GW. In anycase the mem usage is not so big for any of them.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It uninstalls Ok on my system. BTW I am not aware of any security software that uninstalls 100% of its reg enteries. If u know of one, please let me know.
    Not exactly the same setup but I have used GW with almost all the software in ur signature( except ERUNT), some time in the past. No big issues but every system is different.

9. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Is GeSWall still being actively developed? I ask because the 2.7 beta was released on July 5th.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A bit slow but still not dead I think. I am expecting another beta soon but can,t be sure.
    Brian has denied any such issues. Let,s wait n see.

11. mmiranda

Thanks for the response LoneWolf and aigle.

I'm trialling DefenseWall now. I got a question - if I install a program, it has to be "Trusted" to install properly. What if that program has some malware in it? Then DefenseWall will do nothing about the malicious actions that will be done (because the installer was placed in the "Trusted" programs).

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I've gotten into the habit of always saving the dl to my desktop then scanning it with the av. Then I put it as trusted in DW to install it.
    Also you can disable DW, install the program, then reinable DW.
    Did this once but usually to it the prior way.
    Dan

13. mmiranda

I don't seem to have any luck with either DefenseWall or GesWall.

When I try on install DefenseWall, it says "Your license is expired. Please enter valid registration file."?

GesWall, I successfully installed but Firefox just wouldn't load. It gets stuck in memory and I had to reboot to get it out. GesWall blocks a lot of stuff when Firefox loads (as per the logs - LinkScanner Pro, Threatfire, etc).

Anybody with the same problem?

14. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@mmiranda: You could post a question at the SoftSphere forum regarding the expired license issue. I´m rather sure Ilya will help you :)

/C.

15. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

This means that your trial time is over and you don't have up-to-date license. Anyway, it is not a DW's support forum, I would suggest you use appropriate one.

Not always.

My standard suggestion here- send it to your anti-virus vendor's lab (or to many of them). Only an expert can make a reliable decision if it contains malware or not.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Mmiranda,

ThreatFire (use free with added custom rules) and DefenseWall (paid) after a hardware Nat router/SPI firewall with no other protection on XP (AV or AS or Software FW) has proven more than adequate.

We have ThreatFire Pro which only checks its virus black list when an exception occurs. So allowing programs to install as trusted guarded by ThreatFire is our second line of protection.

Having used GeSWall Pro and DefenseWall on different PC's for over a year now, my preferences turns to DW (plus DW: more frequent updates, lesser hassle with print, music and DRM, plus of GW is that is just a bit faster tha GW, although Opera seems to be faster with DW strangly enough).

Regards

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

DW or GW will not help here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.