DefenseWall detailed info. required

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metting, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metting

Metting Registered Member

Hi Friends

Where can I find detailed information, description, settings, and screen shoots for SoftSphere's DefenceWall ? Reviews also will be very helpful.

The http://softsphere.com don't have sufficient information at all and unfortunately it has some misleading expressions!

I'm wondering why there is no good website for this application which considered a powerful app as I read here in Wilders? I hate that there is no way to know such an application except by installing and trying in your own PC!

Any detailed info.?
    Thanks and regards.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Download and set-up a VM. Then you can try the software without having to try it on your system.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Description

It is a policy HIPS + FireWall which protects the system from the untrusted applications. Untrusted applications are applications which connect to external data sources, generally internet browsers, mail, P2P programs, all sorts of viewers which are used in these applications and USB data are possible gateways or entry gates to your system. These applications which can

Unique about DefenseWall is the fact that it also separates untrusted applications from each other also. It also has total untrusted file control (another unique feature compared to simular programs like GeSWall). It provides solid HIPS protection on x32 and has an efficient FireWall.

DefenseWall has a build in whitelist for both the HIPS and the Firewall components. It also has an extensive list of applications which are considered untrusted.

Settings
    DefenseWall should run out of the box fine, so that is why you don't find much info on the settings. Most important user interaction is the right click which shows options to run an application as trusted (so it can install) or add it to the whitelist (for the firewall). DefenseWall has its custom rules and role back feature but these are only to be used by people who have a sound knowledge of security and internals of the OS.

I have tried out a lot of classical HIPS and intelligent HIPS and had a reputation for tweaking every application. Since the introduction of custom rules Ilya has more or less incorporated all the suggestions of expert users. Even I used to run DW with out of the box settings (now my mom born in 1933 uses my DW on her laptop (my old laptop).

Reviews
    It is a solid security program and very user friendly. On the DW website you will find a few. On Wilders DW used to stay on its feet with the PoC's and new threats which were discussed on this forum. At the beta testing of DW v3, I tested DW against the Matousec PoC's and it scored a 100% at that time. So best advise is to join DW (gladiator security) and ask around.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Download and install it, VOILA! :D

5. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

What Kees said... And keep also in mind that DW does not work on 64-bit windows (even if many hope for better in a near future ! :))

Btw, DW's board seems to be non-available, or at least from here, right now.
    EDIT - board's working now

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    When you install the program just read the included help file manual. Details are there.

The default settings would work fine. And tweaking it a bit for added custom protection is just easy as pie.

Here's a test review:

http://translate.google.com/transla...irewall_test_outbound_protection_2011&act=url

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.