DefenseWall 3.17

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by G1111, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

How many business machines use Sandboxie or Defensewall? I ask our technichian and she havent heard of any of them.

Best regards

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

A bit of a hiccup with the upgrade to v3.17. I located and ran the batch file manually, which was located in in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Alls well that ends well.

ScreenShot_DW_update_v3.17_error_01.jpg

ScreenShot_DW_update_v3.17_error_02.jpg

ScreenShot_DW_update_v3.17_error_03.jpg

ScreenShot_DW_update_v3.17_error_04.jpg

3. roady

roady Registered Member

I understand your point,but these days most computers,be it desktops or laptops are already shipped with a pre-installed Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.Now what you're gonna do when you purchase your next computer ?
    Remove Win 7 or Win 8 and install XP?
    Face it, the 32 bit OS days are over.....I would choose SandBoxie 64 bit with experimental protection on Win 7 or Win 8 64 bit any day over living in the past with XP's 32 bit and fully compatible DefenseWall,although I have a license for Ilya's gem.
    I'll renew my license as soon as there's 64 bit support,but for now,I'll stay with 3.16 on my (virtual) XP 32 bit with no plans to update ATM.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agree about not going back to XP. Also agree that the days of the 32-bit OS are numbered. You can still use Windows 7 32-bit for home built boxes, but that doesn't help with 64-bit pre-installs on retail machines.

I don't have a problem with experimental 64-bit support in security programs. In fact I prefer that they lay out the details of their 64 bit versions instead of just saying they support it. All the security software companies have had to deal with Kernel Patch Protection (aka patchguard), but few of them state upfront the limitations of their products running on x64. Ilya has taken a lot of heat for being honest about it and saying he doesn't want to make an inferior product. That seems pretty weird to me and sends the unfortunate message that maybe honesty isn't the best policy.

I hope it's clear I'm not knocking SandboxIE. It's a great product and I appreciate they're working on supporting x64. Can you link to info about this?

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

@ Victek123

This is from Sandboxie's website:

Source: -http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ExperimentalProtection

The forum says this:

-http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10201

Basically the same...

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Much appreciated, thanks!

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I would think that something such as "experimental protection" is so important because to stop malware that has high privileges you need at least that high or higher privileges.

But... if malware can't get patch the kernel or anything why does Sandboxie need to?

I'm not really familiar with how it all works. I would assume that malware would need high rights to use the API for the kernel and Sandboxie needs high rights to block those API calls.

But if neither can make those calls... why intercept?

Anyone with some more in depth programming experience have an explanation?

8. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I have a license for 350 that I use on 32bit laptops in the wild. DW license that is. I refuse to use the corporate clients our internal people use.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I believe that honesty is the best policy in most cases.

10. roady

roady Registered Member

I respect that,and totally agree.........I admire you for your level of integrity,but what's your business plan for the future when 32 bit OS'ses are fading out?
    Although Defensewall is a great product,as long as there's no 64 bit around the corner,I expect it to be EOL within a few years.......:(

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Yes, I know. So, I have a plan of migration towards x64 bit Windows. But, right now, I need more resources for that.

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

When DefenseWall x64 is released...

~ Removed Copyrighted Image ~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  13. roady

roady Registered Member

Great news!......I hope that you very soon find the recources on how to beat/circumvent PatchGuard ......:cool:

14. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Just to clarify, when he mentions “RESOURCES”, what he means by that is : $$$$$ / MONEY...

He's running low on this and needs more support from us, DW users. I'm renewing my subscription of DW once my yearly subscription is over to contribute with the development of this valuable piece of software. People here that have already moved to 64-bit no longer supports DW and that translates in less economic resources for Ilya to work on the development of different versions of DW for different platforms.

Even when the usage of 64-bit OSes has become widespread, I'm sticking with 32-bit for the time being. Not in a rush for me to upgrade to 64-bit even when I have the DVD, the harware [RAM, CPU], and licenses for Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Carlos

15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

The same here :thumb:

16. roady

roady Registered Member

Sorry for my misunderstanding,I'n not a native english speaking person and also don't have a clue about software developement and the related costs....
    I thought it was just a matter of time and the proper blueprints of PatchGuard to develop a 64 bit version......:oops:

17. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Don't feel sorry. I could've made the same mistake as well as you did and English is my language ;)

I knew what he really meant by that because every now and then I visit DW forums and I read some comments about Ilya's scarce economic resources [$$] to continue working on the development of other versions of DW for different platforms.

Honestly, other than Patchguard and the huge amount of RAM a 64-bit Vista / 7 can handle I do not see a compelling reason to desperately move to 64-bit computing. But, that's just me...others' millage may vary.

Thanks

18. Ilya Rabinovich

Money- yes, but knowledge is the resource I need too.

19. roady

roady Registered Member

Understood...;)
    But on most new computers,a 64 bit OS is already pre-installed these days.thus leaving the customers no other choice than moving to 64 bit compatible security apps.....
    And for the more advanced user,virtual machines,RAM drives,RPG gaming and video encoding works a lot smoother on a machine which can handle more than 3.2 GB of RAM.....:)

Back on topic:About the costs,my personal view is that if Ilya would create a VIP status for sponsors who donate a specified amount of money,with for example,lifetime updates as a reward,it would be much easier for him to get the $$ for developement than trying to make money from a dying OS architecture....
    For example: 100 peeps who donate 50$ or more for a lifetime license is at least 5000$,so developement costs are (partially) covered by the donators,while regular users can buy a great 64 bit compatible app when it's released.....

20. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Any chance you could get in touch with Microsoft and ask them to help you? I can't see why they wouldn't want to help.

21. onigen

onigen Registered Member

This sounds good.

I'd give $100 to Ilya to help make this happen.

22. Ilya Rabinovich

Interesting idea. I'll take a deep look into it.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I think that's a great idea.....and you should definitely consider it......:thumb:

24. test

test Registered Member

ready to support (with money) this idea :thumb: ...

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

For as long as this x86 old laptop here works and I'm able to use the O.S functionality I need, including Windows 8 (if I'll be using it), then I'll stick to x86 Windows. This laptop has used Windows XP, Vista, 7 and will probably use 8 (requirements for this version seem to indicate my laptop will be just fine). Many people will do this as well.

New computers may run x64, as some say, but MANY people won't be spending money on a new computer just because of that, specially considering they go not clue on these differences. lol

If they feel like getting a new computer, then they'll be getting a new computer. If they don't feel like it, then may just as well only buy a new O.S version instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.