DefenseWall 3.16 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So you guys mainly run just DefenseWall Personal Firewall? What about DefenseWall HIPS?

/me is confused. Two different products yes? Sorry for my noobish questions. Ive never tried this product yet. :doubt:

Cheers.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

DefenseWall has two choices. Hips only or Hips with firewall.

3. Trooper

Thank you kind sir!

Cheers!

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Your very welcome.;)

5. Trooper

FYI just tried to install but Kaspersky Pure is blocking it. Thinks its a trojan ha.

What's the best way to report that to Kaspersky?

Thanks.

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

DefenseWall can work together with any security software. Wherever it is.

8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I run only DW PF on one my comp - and no problemos! I don't use any resident av there - just a scanner for weekly scans - no infections yet.
    DefenseWall is great! :thumb:

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes same here for some years, before migrating to 7x64. Dw is great security app. But just for info, please take note that Ilya has always suggested users to run an antivirus realtime with DefenseWall.

10. Trooper

11. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi Ilya,

Well, that's good to know then. [I shouldn't have uninstalled Comodo FW then :rolleyes: ].

I just have another couple of questions for you:

[1] I have noticed as you use your browser [either FF 8 or IE 9 on Win 7-x86] to download files from the Internet or plug-in USB sticks with .exe files on it, the Untrusted Apps list on DW keeps growing and growing and those entries remain on the list even if you have deleted the downloaded files and have unplugged the USB drive.

Is there a way to do a little housekeeping on that Untrusted Apps list to keep it down to what it was originally. [I mean the entries in BLUE INK can stay, because it's the default list created by DW upon install but all those entries in black which keep growing as you use your computer, I fear my HDD is gonna get full too quickly piling up stuff that I no longer have on the PC but DW keeps it].

[2] I know that DW does an excellent job isolating bad stuff on your PC but I was just curious...Can it be run side-by-side with, let's say Sandboxie? I know running those two at the SAME TIME would be overkill but I'm just curious.

What would happen if I run, let's say FF 8 sandboxed on a PC where DW is already installed? Would browsing be slower than normal? What would happen to sandboxed .exe downloads through that browser when I try to recover them, or an Untrusted .exe file if I would run it sandboxed within a DW environment?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Ilya Rabinovich

When you delete the files you have downloaded, DW remove the track from untrusted list. Almost the same with USB that is already untrusted source- DW do not add entries into the untrusted list. Also, DW to remove "empty" entries, that are about the files are not present already at your hard drive. So, the situation is quite strange, you definitely should provide me more information and technical details.

Yes, some are running both together. I think that if they feel safer this way- hey, why not? I see nothing horrible with it. As about technical details, I can't say for sure as I'm not running SBIE, you should ask other people here.

13. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey Ilya,

Thanks so much for your prompt responses. Very appreciated.

Well, what I was trying to explain is the following: I used Mozilla FF 8 on Win 7-x86 under the supervision of DW [running as Untrusted, of course, its default setting], I headed to Majorgeeks and downloaded some software from there which were saved by FF8 to Downloads folder which is located at C:/Users/my name/Appdata/Downloads/ abc.exe [just to give you an example].

I then plugged in a USB stick to the computer to transfer the downloaded files which icons on Downloads folder can be seen surrounded by DW brown wall icon. I copied the files to the USB stick and then deleted the originals from Downloads folder on my PC to the Recycle bin, then I used CCleaner to completely wipe those files out my HDD.

So far so god, ain't it? However, when I checked the Untrusted Applications folder in DW I can see that besides the BLUE ENTRIES corresponding to the Default Untrusted list of DW, there are also BLACK INK entries with paths to C:/Users/my name/App data/downloads/abc.exe even when that[those] file no longer resides on my computer HDD and...the list keeps on growing as you use your PC. The physical files may no longer be on your PC but their paths still showing up at DW Untrusted List says otherwise.

I hope to have made myself clearer this time.

Thank you.

P.S.: Does DW have some kind of privacy for the browser after you close it upon finishing your browsing session? For example, SBIE, when you run IE 9 or FF 8 [for that matter] sandboxed and you close the browser, SBIE deletes the contents of the sandbox [depending on the deletion command you invoke] and your browsing history has no place to be found on your PC.
    Can the same be done with DW?

14. Ilya Rabinovich

I did reproduce the case (IE8, Win7), have had no single issue at all. Something is wrong on your side. I have not enough information to find out what exactly happens on your computer.

No.

15. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Many thanks for your responses.

Well, as you stated it might be something wrong on my end. I will check more carefully and thoroughly to see if it's due to something I might be doing incorrectly.

I might as well try uninstall/reinstall DW to rule out something wrong during the installation process.

I will keep you posted if I find out something.

Again thanks for your excellent support and great software.

Regards.

16. Ilya Rabinovich

OK, waiting for any information.

17. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi Ilya,

I found out what the problem with the added entries in DW Untrusted List was.

Ok, I had downloaded certain number of files from the Internet using FF 8 on Win 7-32bit. Some of the files were downloaded to the default Downloads folder which is inside the folder with My Name folder which is located on the desktop, which also has My Documents, Favorites, My Pictures in it, etc. among other folders.

Somehow, I made a change on the destination folder for the rest of the files I was downloading and they ended up in an odd location on my computer HDD.
    The first ones which had been downloaded to Downloads folder were copied to a USB thumb drive and the originals on Downloads folder were deleted completely from my HDD.
    However, the rest of the downloaded ones that ended up in another location rather than in Downloads folder were still showing up on DW Untrusted List.

I realized this later today. I then plugged in my USB thumb dive and copied those files on it as well, deleting the original files at their original locations right after that. Once I did this, those entries in DW Untrusted list disappeared.

So, bottom line as long as a downloaded file or files remain on your HDD, DW is going to be listing those files in the Untrusted list, just in case you end up executing them. I also supposed that the same would happen if you plug in a USB stick with files on it. All those files on the USB will show up in the Untrusted list until you unplug the drive from your PC.

My apologies for the inconveniences. I'm new to this product and just getting used to it as the time goes by.

Regards.

18. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe if Ilya can add an option to start the program in manual mode so users has a choice if he/she don't want to start it automatically when windows starts.

You know, there are times for one thing or another and for whatever reason it is that we don't like programs to start automatically. Whether it's a protection program or not. ;)

19. Ilya Rabinovich

"Advanced"->"Options"->"Run with Windows". Working under full admins privileges only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.