defense wall free on GAOTD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by testsoso, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

giveawayoftheday.com

2. cet

cet Registered Member

defense wall is free today on the giveaway of the day

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Re: Defenswall giveaway today

I believe this is good for a year, but why no updates?

4. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

much thanks to Ilya for putting this on GAOTD. My wife and I already own DW; but it's good that more people will be exposed to it.

5. OHM

OHM Guest

It seems like noone is interested...
    I thought DW is a good software, hehe

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Nice to know this, thanks.

Some report that its updater is disabled.

I just wonder is this a registered version with lifetime possession and one year update, OR a 30 days full-functional trial ?

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

It's a registered version with lifetime possession, no version upgrades, no offical support. Still a good deal for free. :D

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

its for 100 years
    11.15.2007 - 11.15.2107 :)
    check for updates is disabled though

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, thanks.

Yes, I joked to developer a long while ago, asking him to make Defense Wall a free offer for a limited time. I think somehow a good arrangement this time around ,has been made between him and GAOTD. Hoping He can repeat this periodically, say every 6 months or so. Perhaps this is the effective alternate to million dollars ad campaign. A damn good way to get it popular. I will certainly try it with DeepFreeze(especially in DF's thawed mode), thank.

10. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

What if you have to format your PC in the meantime? Can you activate it again?

I had some similar trouble with GAOTD programs before. And of course the SSM version that would bug you every 2 seconds after the expiration date...

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nice, but i got a problem, or i think i do. I get a simple GUI, not like when i trialed it, or in screenshots. I uninstalled SSM even, leaving only Antivir and CFP 2.4 . DEP?

Attached Files:

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Under normal circumstances no. Running the dw installer from giveawayoftheday requires activation which will only work for today.
    I tried the free license with the installer from the official defensewall website but that didn't work.
    I was able to work around the problem and figure out a simple way to be able to install it in future. However this would probably violate the giveawayoftheday condition which states it must be installed today.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DefenseWall is ideal for ISR-softwares, because it doesn't need any signature updates. I use it constantly in my frozen snapshot, which is similar to Returnil, DeepFreeze, etc. in frozen mode.
    That's why I also use Anti-Executable, together with DW it stops many bad executables.
    The frozen mode removes any change on reboot (= boot-to-restore) and AE+DW stops the execution immediately.
    It's a pity that boot-to-restore is still too late in theory, but on demand scanners are also too late.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Fuzzfas

I see. This was what i was afraid of. I wouldn't have anything against installing it today, as long as i could also install it again in the future. In fact, i did click on the key icon and told me it was activated even if i didn't install it.

Well, the way i see it, since it is format-limited, it is not really a giveaway. It's more like a trialware with expiration date the day that you will format. And in my case, i do format once every 3 months, more or less. So, i will stick with Threatfire.

Thank you.

15. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Because updates costs money. So, to make a free version for GAOTD for commercial software, you need do it lifetime but no updates or not a lifetime with updates. I just think that "lifetime but no updates" is more honest.

Looks like that there is some problems with ActiveSkin skin engine. Check out it is registered properly.

You are wrong here. There is no activation at all.

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just tried this program ,and i must be honest...im finding it hard to understand even though its supposed to be a set and forget ,and also for beginners :oops:
    .For example i understand it not trusting my browser firefox ,and its auto added that to non trusted ,but does this mean i have to go through all my other programs that access the net via updater's etc and manually add them to untrusted?.Should ad muncher be untrusted?,.Im getting a headache already.Im sure it is simple for some folks ,but i feel that i have a toy ,and dont know how to work it :(
    ellison

17. Fuzzfas

When i clicked on the "key" icon in the GOATD package, it loaded the GOATD page and said more or less "congratulations, activation successful". After that i aborted the installation. But i guess you mean that the .dwu file is enough for registration. Well, in that case, i am glad i didn't throw away the folder yet. :D

Thanks

18. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

DW has a built-in database that recognize and automatically untrust progs on your comp. The unrecognized apps can be added manually

MaB

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yes i know that ,but thats my dilemma.Im not at all clear on what is the criteria for adding to untrusted...or not to add or what will be the consequences of the choices i make.Ive been reading the help files ,but im still perplexed.
    ellison

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Ilya:

Thanks very much for providing an excellent prog without any financial strings at this time. You have shown your good gesture at GAOTD.

I have a crazy idea for you to entertain:
    When your next update(let's say version upgrade) is made available, why not offer today's clients hooked by GAOTD's offer, a deep discount, or even two years for one sort of specials. It is very important to keep the momentum generated by today's event and extend it further and farther...

With today's offer, your 30 days trial option may be deeply side swept.

Good luck.

21. Ilya Rabinovich

Untrusted are the programs that contacts dangerous places of Internet.

No, it doesn't contact dangerous parts of the Internet.

22. Ilya Rabinovich

It is not any crazy, it's just a great idea! The only problem here will be how to notify all of them, I had to think about it before. Anyway, thanks for that hint!

23. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Ilya,

Great marketing of Perman, seems to me he earned a regular lisence fee with the updates.

Take care and thanks for the good program. By the way your tone of voice in helping customers is a relief compared to A2, so that is okay also. But maybe because it took so long before the help files of DefenseWall were okay you did not answer by default with RTFM, but actually reacted (fast).

Antivir free, A2 (IDS) Malware paid, DefenseWall paid

:cool:

24. Ilya Rabinovich

I see no problems. :D

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Massive sampling is a easiest way to gain popularity for any given merchandise. In tangible goods field, due to product's physical form, distribution cost could compound and compile higher and more.

But in intangible product sector (such as electronic /digital software transmission), cost can be kept at very minimal.

In the last very short while, we have witnessed OA free, ZAAS have just done that, and now DefenseWall have jumped onto the wagon.

In my mind, 10 copies sold plus 50 free ones is a much better picture than 10 copies paid and Nada free ones.

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.