Defender Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kevin523, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

Hi all,
    I was at my local Walmart a few days ago and saw a suite called Defender Pro. It claimed to have 15 features in 1 product for $40 - for a 3 computer license. I figured what the heck and bought it. Well it turns out to be an exact clone of Bitdefender 2009 - in fact it is Bitdefender 2009 with just a rebranded Defender Pro logo on it. It still downloads it's definitions from bitdefender - heck it even installs in C:\Program Files\Bitdefender 2009 folder.

What I like though - and how it varies from regular bitdefender is that this is the same version as the Bitdefender 2009 Total Security (It's basically the Internet Security suite but with additonal features such as defrag, registry cleaner, computer cleaner). But it costs less than the Bitdefender version of the same program - in fact I think it's half the price (the Bitdefender being almost 80 for a year license).

I'm sure this program is just a way for Bitdefender to make it's program for other vendors but charge a fee for it or something..but for those who are looking for a good deal on Bitdefender 2009 may want to consider Defender Pro.

Oh and I emaile support to find out about the license key - each key can be activated 3 times (for three computers) and if you need to reset activation you'll have to contact support.

The nice thing is that mine came with another key slapped inside the box - so I can use one key for a year and the other for a year past that (they're two different codes). I think it was a mistake and two got slapped in there. But I'm not complaining! :)

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hopefully BitDefender is also aware of this partnership :D

I remember reading about this program sometime ago but I don't recall why I ignored it then.

3. Kevin523

You know I never stopped to think that maybe this software would be legit or not. I would hope that Bitdefender is aware of this program - and it's like an OEM version almost.

Bitdefender seems to do pretty well in tests - and it works so far..so for me I got my money's worth.

Although recently I'm starting to see that Comodo IS is doing well so when my license expires I may try it again.

But I bought a suite because I liked the idea of having everything managed in one place - but I still use superantispyware pro with it and then a couple of on demand AV scans just to be safe - so far so good.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

They have their own web site
    defender-pro . com
    claiming 15 in 1 suite for $39.99

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I would hope that too, although DefenderPro is not listed under BD's strategic partners website: link link2

Theirs must be some sort of OEM agreement.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Looks like the Defender Pro site might have gotten hacked.. Avira goes off a couple times on the site. I couldn't even get in this thread until I clicked ignore in WebGuard.

7. gery

gery Registered Member

no problems here

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Defender Pro used to be a legit Kaspersky clone in the past. The downsides were that you couldn't upgrade to the latest version when it was released (including program updates, not just version upgrades) and that the support was not all that good. Things may have changed now, but there is still a chance Defender Pro users may not get to upgrade to the 2010/2011 versions when they arrive.

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Well, I saw this link for Defender Pro on Target.com:

It states that this software is published by Bling Software Limited. The same company that makes 123 Copy DVD and is based in Gibraltar ?!?!
    ( Goto 123copydvd.com and see disclaimer at bottom)
    No contact info is available for Bling Software Limited :
    http://www.faultwire.com/publishers/blingsoftware.html

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I remember buying the Kaspersky clone version of Defender Pro. Ditto on the support. The other problem was that they shipped keys that didn't work.
    It was a cheap way to get your hands on a Kaspersky clone once I got the key issue fixed.

11. Kevin523

It's strange because Defender Pro looks EXACTLY like Bitdefender - all the options, the program, everything. GUI looks the exact same too except it says Defender Pro. I emailed support and got a response like 24 hours later - I was shocked as I wasn't expecting a response. They did answer my question. Oh, and there was a new program version to download once I installed the version from the CD - a new version of the 2009 of course, but it was still a program update. Nice to get two keys in my package instead of one (one key can be activated 3 times). My activation worked fine. I just posted this thread because I thought some might be interested in finding a cheaper Bitdefender.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Might as well be Bitdefender, everyone is using it so malware writers are going to have a field day this year hacking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.