Defence Wall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hogndog, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I've downloaded Defense Wall Hips, in addition I'm running Outpost Firewall with Avira Anti-Virus, lastly IObit Security 360. I'm not certain about these conflicting with one another turning my machine into a doorstop. :argh:

Many thanks in advance guys!

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I have Outpost Pro with NIS and downloaded DefenseWall 2 days ago, and unfortunately it ground my system to a halt. The right click context menu took forever, and generally things were unresponsive.

Also i couldn't get the latest Sandboxie to install, and a BSOD next reboot. So i removed DW, things returned to normal and the same Sandboxie package installed fine.

But.. I have no idea what it was conflicting with, or why so many problems. I'd suggest do a full backup just in case, and give it a try.

3. hogndog

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

DefenseWall is running fine with Outpost and Kaspersky Anti-Virus on my machine. Occasionally some software versions conflict. I was running Malware Defender but it doesn't seem to get along with the current version of Outpost on my machine. MD was running great with the previous version of Outpost. When you run several Internet security programs you have to be aware of this and change things around when different versions of the same software conflict.

5. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yeah i have no idea what was conflicting with DefenseWall, or if it naturally has an impact on performance. I dropped the Firewall and Disabled AV but that didn't help.

The delay with the context menu when right clicking on any files/folders especially was a killer because i use that alot. I could of used the Nirsoft tool and removed the handler, but when the Sandboxie update wouldn't install and i got a BSOD next reboot i thought time to call it quits.

I don't "really" need anything on top of my current setup, i just thought i'd test out some of the solutions often talked about by Wilders folk like DF, GesWall and yeppers DriveSentry also. :)

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am sure everytime you add something that is running all the time it will have some impact on performance however small. With my current setup I can have youtube running on one tab in Firefox and then open something else in another tab without hearing/seeing a break in the video. I don't run benchmark tests so the above and just seeing how fast things happen is my criteria. If something slows my machine that I can see is having an impact it is time to start tinkering.

7. hogndog

I may have made a bad judgment call, taking on Defence Wall and beta testing for Avira at the same time. Beta testing gives a person a sense of adventure just not ready to tackle this application, I don't want to see my machine break down, maybe at a later date. :thumb:

You guys take good care of your machines.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Why you didn't contact me? If I'm unaware of an issue, I can't fix.

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Software conflicts are a problem, but then so is malware.
    What you have described can be a sign of either.

When your existing security tools are bypassed by say a rootkit, and you try to add a new security tool, the rootkit will throw a temper tantrum.
    "Oh he77 no, you are not bringin that in here!"

You need to figure out which it is and Ilya is willing to help you.

Any time a Developer or Expert is willing to take a look and help, I would take the opportunity. A win for everyone.

Don't give up on a great product.

10. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Thanks Ilya, i was certain if i asked for help you would be more than willing. If i broke out autoruns and a few other debugging tools i'm sure i could of got to the bottom of it myself also.

I "was" going to wait for DefenseWall V3 because the firewall component interests me, but i had a few hours to spare so jumped the gun and gave V2 a run.

So due to time constraints, and V3 is what i'm interested in decided to just uninstall for now... But i will be back to give it another run. ;)

Nah all my sys's and dll's are in order, the machine isn't compromised. It's not underpowered either (Dual Core with 4GB RAM on XP) and only consumes ~390MB booting to the desktop. But it is heavily customized and almost everything is switched out with third party tools from the clock to the file manager.

So i'd say either a conflict, or the fact i've culled and disabled so much MS stuff.

No i don't plan on giving up on DW, as soon as V3 comes out of Beta i'll be back and persist a lot more if there's still problems. :)

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Hmmm, as far as I know both Outpost and DW have HIPS so I would say that is an overkill? And sure that will conflict for sure.

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Their HIPS are different and don't conflict. Outpost is more like a classical HIPS that alerts you if something new/changed wants to run and you make decision on whether or not to allow it. DefenseWall is a sandbox and runs untrusted (Internet facing programs) with reduced privileges.

13. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I am not sure you can call that a sandbox? It's kindda but not really.

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

The exact term is "Policy Based Sandbox":)

15. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

Something about the combo of Outpost and Defensewall that doesn't agree.
    Never got them to get along well together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.