Defect partition on my HDD + "clack"-Sounds + Acronis True Image 10 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sunshineh, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshineh

sunshineh Registered Member

Hello,

I have a defect Samsung 500GB HD501LJ HDD, which always made "clack"-sounds, if I want to read my d://-partition. The c://-partition with my Windows-Vista-Ultimate-OS is always working fine. If I want to open the d-partition, I only get the message to format this partiton, but I can't read anything.

When I use Acronis True Image 10 Home in the boot-mode from USB-Stick he shows the partitions c and d from the defect HDD with the files, but I can't copy anything and the programm is hanging up.

Do you have a tipp for me?!

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

From what you have described, it sounds (to me) like your disk can fail at any moment and you will no longer have access to anything on the disk.

You might try to clone the old onto a new disk to salvage the good partition. Or, I hope you have some old "full disk" backups which includes all partitions.

I don't believe you have too much time for this disk to fail.

3. sunshineh

sunshineh Registered Member

I have tried to clone my hdd, but it doesn't work with Aronis :(
    I got messages like this
    "Defect sector 2,204,964" or "Defect Sector 26,617,741" or "Defect Sector 129,173,497"
    that I ignored, but despite of this it doesn't go kopied the hdd!

Have you any other ideas?

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

You need to type CHKDSK /R /F in the Start > Run box (in XP) or Start Search box (in Vista) and accept the option to schedule a disk check on restart. Then reboot.

CHKDSK will identify bad sectors and stop the system from trying to use them in future. It will also attempt to recover any data from those bad sectors.

Once this has been done you may be able to clone the disk.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

chkdsk sector data recovery is at best an iffy thing. What's worse is that your harddisk has probably been read/writing badly for quite some time so any number fo files could have been corrupted. So even if you can get an image formt his drive, it's going to be risky to use it. For data only files, it's worth a try to chkdsk/r and try to get one last copy of the those files. I think I'd rather just use the copy command rather than ATI for those files because one crapy sectdor and the image is skunked whereas, if you copy, you might not be able to get some files copied due to erros but you might be able to get some files without error. But for the system and the program files, I'd just install anew on a fresh and working harddrive. If you're getting a liver transplant, don't use a cir·rhot·ic liver.

Or, if you've been making backups all along you can just restore one of the older images -- one that predates the harddisk probs, if any of them do. If it's not clear if any of them do, I'd reinstall the sys and progs.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Cloning involves the entire hard drive, all partitions.

You may be able to make an image of just the C partition to another drive. If there are no errors on the C partition, that image should restore to a new drive and have you up and running.

You can issue the CHKDSK C: /R command from the run box. It will run when you reboot your system. This will tell you whether the C: partition has errors or not. CHKDSK will attempt to fix errors if it finds any. Whether or not it is successfull depends on the severity of the errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.