Default heuristics/actions when installing NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by arrowsmithmidwest, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

Hey all,

At our workshop, we install NOD32 pretty much every day.
    After every installation, this is what we must do to the customers computers in order to make NOD32 effective and work at its best:

1) Put in license details so it will update. (This is not the issue but).

2) Goto AMON setup and change heuristics to DEEP and action to CLEAN AUTOMATICALLY.

3) Goto IMON setup and change heuristics to DEEP and actions to CLEAN and uncleanable viruses to DELETE. and this applies for all areas. eg. files, archives.

4) Goto the Scanner and change heuristics to DEEP, and apply scanning to Runtime Packers, Archives and email files. Then change the actions to clean, and uncleanable actions to delete, to all the areas once again.

Now if you ask me, to do that all the time is a lot of mucking around, and even worse if the customer purchases NOD32 and takes it home, we have to do a phone support call to them just to change all those settings after they install NOD32.

It's not really me that it annoys, its the general public. Many people want computers to be more user friendly rather than as complicated as NOD gets when setting up. The main reason why we sell as many NODs as we do is because people trust our products when we tell them that NOD is most reliable etc etc.

NOW can anyone tell me any better way to set NOD up or any way i can make all those settings default.

Sorry this has been a long post and thanks for reading it all.

Kris
    Arrowsmith Midwest
    kris@xxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The NOD help file that comes with the program has NOD's recommendations.

For instance:
    "AMON, the real-time, memory-resident, antivirus scanner, monitors all potentially dangerous actions performed by either the system or the user.

In its default configuration, AMON scans files when they are created, executed, or opened. Changing the default options is not recommended. The default media scanning targets: Diskette, Local, Network should not be changed either.

AMON also scans the boot sector of a diskette on access and shutdown. The latter option is very important if a bootable infected diskette has been left in the diskette drive during shutdown. Disabling this option might result in infection of your computer after its next startup.

To change the list of the extensions of the files to be scanned by AMON, click the Extension button.

The NOD32 heuristic sensitivity has been carefully optimized and the Standard level should be used. Selection of the Deep level may result in an increased number of false alarms."

If you set all to deep and delete, people may cripple their machines for no reason.

Although many here disagree, I think NOD's default settings will provide most with the virus protection they need. :)

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I for one disagree, see my post #10 in the following thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21171

When dealing with the general public I have found it far more credent to tweak Nod to it's maximum, and with this it results in the very least amount of phone calls to my business, with the least amount of problems. We find it easier and more beneficial to protect people from themselves...

And to answer the original question, as far as I am aware, there is no quicker way to set up Nod to its maximum, we do so many, it is just a quick though tedious process for us now...

Cheers :D

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  4. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

So with the extensions options in AMON, should i set it to scan all files or leave it to scan only files with those set extensions alreadyo_O

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Click on the link in the post above your post. Screenshots of settings.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We set it up to scan all files...

Cheers :D

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you need to use some particular settings for more installations, I suggest you create a config. file using the Configuration Editor (a part of the admin version or RA), name it nod32.xml and put it to the installation directory. All these settings will be automatically applied after the installation.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Of course you should set it to scan all files! NOD32 is notorious for having very poor default settings. I have never seen worse default settings on any av!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.