Default files

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Milesch, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milesch

Milesch Registered Member

If I choose to check all files, there are multitudes of entries in the log which cannot be opened for various reasons. And I find no way to prevent this as apparently the only choice is to specify certain file extensions not to be checked, not individual folders, files, or paths. Please correct me if I am wrong.

To avoid this, the only solution I've come across is to choose "default files," then many are not checked. Here the concern is that checking is insufficient.

Any opinions or knowledge would be appreciated.

Miles

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Miles, are you talking about the [4] locked files?

Yes a scan with default settings would miss out on a few types of files when scanning, see HERE for a screenshot.

Cheers :D

3. Milesch

Thanks, and as you indicated on the setup screen that is exactly as I have it. Still I question leaving some file types not to be checked by Nod32.

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Craig,
    I think he is talking about setting NOD to scan all extensions. If I am correct, there are 2 schools of thought, one is that certain types of files can't hurt you like text files, log files and what not and as they can't contain executable code why waste the CPU cycles to scan them and slow down the system. The other school of thought is, better safe than sorry, scan everything anyway. Depends on which philosophy camp you subscribe to. Personally I belong to the former, but plenty of people whose opinion I respect subscribe to the scan them all camp. It's up to the you to decide what is best for your situation and system. I haven't had a virus since switching to NOD and I use the default extensions plus a few I have added, but I don't scan all files.

5. Milesch

You and right in what I had asked. Interesting that you say that you belong to the camp that does not scan all files, yet you have added some file types to our scan.

Now what is the average person to do? Who would know what should be added to the default scan? And even for myself, having some knowledge, what am I supposed to do, search Internet Explorer for an hour attempting to locate file types that may risk exposure?

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

lol, sorry I guess I should have saw that coming. The only two extensions I added were .wmf (Windows metafile) and .emf (Enhancced Windows metafile) as I feel they should be scanned. NOD has caught a few which just confirms my feeling.

7. Milesch

Thanks for the hint, and I have quickly added those two extensions!

Begining to believe it might be best to run a full in-depth scan weekly or after any serious downloading which checks everything, and not bother with the abbreviated version which I had planned to run daily. Although I receive many emails, and Nod is set to check each one, I don't download many programs from the internet that are not from a "trustworthy source," nor do I visit too many sites --but it only takes one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.