Deep Freeze standart or ShadowDefender ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Ech0, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ech0

Ech0 Registered Member

i used ShadowDefender before and had some problems about hd. i didn't understand how but i guess somehow it damaged my harddisk(created bad sectors)

And i haven't used Deep Freeze yet. What about it ? Is it more usefull ?

2. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

My vote goes towards shadowdefender

For me a much better polished piece of software

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used both,presently using shadow defender,never had any issues with either.

4. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I'm using deep freeze now, never had one problem. But I'm a safe online user, and I use the pc only.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

My vote would go for Shadow Defender. It has been perfect for me for a long time.

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Shadow Defender ... is undoubtedly a good line of defence - I like it a lot ... BUT ... what's happening with the software developer? You might be best waiting to find out where you stand purchasing a license right now. The developer seems to have gone awol (from what I've read)

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

They are both very reliable and secure especially used in conjunction with other layers such as an AV, AE or HIPS. DeepFreeze has its own dedicated AV and AE which altogether afford an almost 100% protection (expensive though, as one has to pay for each application - The AV still has no price on line-).

I personally find Shadow Defender more versatile than DeepFreeze (commit/exclude functions, protected mode without reboot), if it doesn't like your system you might like to try Returnil as well.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-For Functionality: Shadow Defender.

-For Stability: Deep Freeze.

9. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

100% agree :D

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

How I see it is the same as a few years ago when a great firewall, Sygate, was swallowed up and disappeared. I used Sygate for a couple of years after.

ShadowDefender will be good for a long, long time even if it's no longer developed. I use BZ right now but have SD saved on another drive. I might switch back some day. It isn't the latest version but a couple of versions back, but as far as I've seen it's still rock solid dependable security.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i've been trying ShadowDefender = Very nice so far :thumb: But as it's a trial version which runs out in a few weeks, what do we do afterwards ?

The sole owner/coder has gone missing and nobody has been able to contact him in China where he's based :(

12. Chuck57

That's the problem. I have a license. Those who don't and want to use it are out going to be out of luck, and that's sad. I don't know any honest way to get around it.

13. CloneRanger

@Chuck57
    How about one that isn't ;)

14. Chuck57

I'd assume there are ways out there, if you aren't concerned about something else coming with it. I'd rather pay the bucks and not spend hours reformatting and reloading all the software I use regularly.

15. CloneRanger

@Chuck57

Yes i agree :thumb: But what do we ALL do if he doesn't appear, or for ages ?

16. Chuck57

Then I guess those who don't have a legitimate license are out of luck or will visit one of the pirate sites, or rapidshare (same thing?).

For me, I'll use SD again when BZ begins to bore me. Surprisingly, that hasn't happened yet. Usually, I'm trading off every few weeks.

17. CloneRanger

@Chuck57

Heck no, i wasn't thinking of warez www's etc, we know what extra "special" surprises you get from them :D

18. Chuck57

I didn't figure you were. Sadly, SD doesn't have a free version. I like it, like the simplicity and effectiveness of it and the small size. Returnil is good, a little larger and does cause an initial, slight slowdown on my computer. Once it's running, it's hardly noticeable.

Bufferzone free is good and I recommend it, although I'm no security expert. I just listen to others here and play with the stuff. If I find one I like, I keep it (preferably free version). I have bought BZ and SD, so they'll always be with whatever computer I have, as long as they'll run on future operating systems anyway.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't if anyone has tried to buy SD lately, because if you can the license is lifetime.

BUT, be assured if any illegal means of obtaining a license is posted, it will disappear in a heart beat.

Pete

20. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Guys, regarding Tony's long abscence; its a situation that happened before. I recall reading it here somewhere, he had a 9 month hiatus and everyone thought that the development hiatus was permanent. Maybe longtime SD veterans can chime in and confirm.

21. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

That's something I was already thinking about too.

On the Shadow Defender website exists still the possibility to buy the product (via the online store Avangate). So personally I would not hesitate to buy a license. The absence of the developer is one thing, the possibility to buy the product is another. And this possibility seems to work. If someone wants to be completely sure, perhaps he should simply contact Avangate.

The only risk for new buyers of SD would be that perhaps there will be no further development of the product in the future. But to my mind, SD even in the existing version (personally I use even a slightly older one: 1.1.0.320) is worth its money. :thumb:

22. Ech0

Ech0 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies folks ! :)
    By the way, I've also tried DF for some days. But to me SD is more simple and usefull.

i'm thinking so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.