Deep Freeze and wiping free space

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by wsitis, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsitis

wsitis Registered Member

Using Deep Freeze Standard 7, it is my understanding that files are still potentially recoverable unless you wipe the free space while thawed. My question is this...

Where is deep freeze running in the unallocated space while frozen? My hard disk is split up into multiple partitions and I only freeze the C operating drive, and leave the others unprotected to save wanted files. With that said, when I wipe the free space, do I just need to wipe free space drive C, or does each and every partitioned drive need to have it's free space wiped as well? To sum up, does deep freeze's virtual image ever leave the operating system drive which the program is installed on, or does the entire drive and each of it's partitions need the free space wiped while thawed as well, to completely and thoroughly erase a deep freeze frozen state?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In similar programs (Shadow Defender, Returnil), the "cache" (whatever it is), exists only in the virtualized partition. If you only virtualize C:, you need to wipe free space only in C:.

But DF may work in a different way. You could ask their technical support to be sure.

3. wsitis

wsitis Registered Member

I did ask and their technical support acted like I was crazy. I explained it exactly as I did here and the only answer I got it that the drive is "locked" and upon reboot nothing will be there. They obviously don't know how the program works, or did not understand my question, even though I tried to be thorough in the information I was looking for.

Anyone else here have a clue?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. wsitis

wsitis Registered Member

Does no one here know exactly how Deep Freeze works? I'd really appreciate and answer to this question. Their technical support doesn't seem much help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.