Deep Freeze and updates...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ambient_88, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating Deep Freeze, and so far it is working great. However, if I want to apply updates (Windows Updates, LiveUpdate, etc...) I have to reboot in Thawed mode. I don't have any problems doing that; however, I find it a bit cumbersome to reboot every time an update is released, especially for virus definitions. Now, for my question... is there a way to automate this process? I checked Faronic's website and found a couple of articles, but it only applies to the Enterprise version. Even if there's no way to automate the process it would be really helpful if you can give me tips on how to streamline this process.

Thank you!

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi Ambient,I have to agree with you on the cumbersome part.I used DeepFreeze for the evaluation period.I have to say it ran perfectly but for someone the uses a computer with antivirus or spyware programs that depend on daily updates it tends to get to be a bit of a pain to multiple boots to turn the protection on or off.I do not know if there was a work around that or not.DeepFreeze is more of a program for schools or office staff Where daily updates or changes are not needed through unauthorized people.You may want to consider a alternative like Returnil that allows sesssion locks or schedule protection Dates/times.Returnil also offers a free and paid versions.I would suggest compare booth products see which makes more sense to needs.

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I believe there are two methods to achieve what you want.

The first is to install your AV onto the unfrozen data partition rather than the default location.

Alternatively you can use the Faronics mapping tool. (http://www.faronics.com/html/dfmappt.asp)

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In FirstDefense-ISR PC Rescue you wouldn't have updating problems, BUT then you would have another problem : there is no freeze and no schedules anymore to boot automatically in a frozen state, you have to do this manually.
    Whatever you choose, there are always advantages and disadvantages and there is no other way than trying each ISR software and take the one that meets most of your wishes and find a workaround to solve the disadvantages.

How to keep the good changes is a general problem in all ISR-softwares, because ISR doesn't see the difference between good and bad changes and removes everything.
    In case of DeepFreeze, I think the Mapping Tool is the best option, although I never worked with it in practice.
    My solution was simple : I don't use scanners anymore, I use only security softwares, that don't need a daily signature update, like AE and DW.
    Some ISR-users use an online scanner instead of an installed scanner, which is also a more or less convenient solution.
    In spite of these disadvantages, ISR (+IB) is the only way for average users to make sure no malware remains on their harddisk. Security softwares fail too much to make that possible.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. ambient_88

Thanks ErikAlbert for your response. I'm going to test SpikeyB's suggestions first and see what happens.

I may try FirstDefense-ISR later.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

SpikeyB suggestions are the solution to your problem.

When I use DeepFreeze (75% of my surfing and in some dangerous situations) I like to think that everything is frozen with no exception, hence letting an antivirus update (or any other anti malware application) while frozen will make sure that DeepFreeze might not be attacked by the few (but certainly real) threats to sandbox and virtual software.

Whether I like it or not I'll have to thaw the system every now and again, obviously losing the updates, and recovering them straight away with an update in thawed mode. IMO it is not a real problem to waste a couple of minutes in frozen mode and again in thawed state.

7. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Sorry for the off topic:p
    Could Deep Freeze be responsible fo network slowdown? Because i installed a trial version few days ago, and my internet connection becomes slow. After i uninstalled it, everything is ok.o_O

8. ambient_88

I don't think so. My network is just fine, and I've been running it for a couple of days.

9. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Also call the company for 1/2 price email code. Its a free 1-800 number, I called last week and its half off. Got my code

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.