Deep Freeze and Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have a question regarding this Topic's title and the preceeding discussions.

Even IF deep freeze is susceptible to intrusion to MBR by those foulware viruses, SandboxIE would contain them, right?

Whereas DF alone couldn't, at least for now?

If so, then this is yet another ideal combination in that as long as just one in this pair, in this example SandboxIE, is able to refuse any of them as well as safely dispose of them IF they did enter, by virtue of that and DEEP FREEZE's Reboot-To-Restore continues to function as well as the system is unaffected as well as protected.

Can't wait to get my hands on that Chin made Robot Dog mbr butcher :D

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Right. If you execute KillDisk, CleanMBR or Robot Dog sandboxed, they can't do anything. The same holds true for Anti-Executable (all are executables), LUA (low-level disk access is forbidden under limited accounts), LUA+SRP, other sandboxes, HIPS which monitor low-level disk access, etc.
    It isn't a MBR butcher. It's a PSW trojan. It manages to survive the reboot under a ISR environment to steal passwords. It doesn't have a destructive payload like KillDisk.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification lucas.

These type MBR attackers ever get into the general mainstream people (users) are really going to go ballistic! Like back in Windows 98 it used to be a common occurance to easily displace windows media player and everything else, even on XP when i done a lot of HijackThis help on forums, a simple website loaded with exploits would replace explorer with it's own form, called Bube, and made for quite a rush from users for help and it was a pistol to pull.

I bet Microsoft is just having a field day with all these multiple risks aimed at their superior talent in coding.

4. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hola Lucas1985
    Is this true of both versions of Returnil? (ie 1.7 & the new 2008 Beta?)

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IIRC, Returnil 1.7 isn't bypassed by KillDisk and the like, but I'm not sure on Robot Dog.
    The 2008 beta isn't bypassed by Robot Dog, AFAIK.

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

HI PPL

welp we all talk on secuirty isue between SB and DF...

i want to ask or to point a compatibility isue runing sandboxie with deepfreeze.

what append is simple... i use deepfreeze in frozen mode; install and use sandboxie and all work great 0 problem.

the conflict pop up when u try to shutdown/restart windows....what append is a quick power down to all hd`s and a quick restart ( even if shutdown selcted)

can anyone confirm or check this out also?

cheers:thumb:

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s CleanMBR tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.