Deep Freeze 7 bypassed

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Buster_BSA, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

Yes, that´s right. My point is that you never know if a software is trustable because even if it comes from a trustable source it may happen something like Induc.

Imagine malware creators hack a Mozilla server and they infect a plugin or a build of FireFox.

We must trust the software we run but we also must trust the software we use to protect us.

Faronics, as other vendors, are selling a false sense of security. They make customers to believe they are protected when they are not.

2. Buster_BSA

Only if you make the right decissions. As someone told me: answer the question wrong and the game is up.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Far as day to day surfing is concerned,there would be no guessing as anything that tries to download would be auto-denied anyways with Faronics anti-executeable active.

4. Buster_BSA

Surfing is just an infection vector but there are many others.

Imagine you download an application. What´s up if that application is infected?

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Scan with virus total or whatever you prefer :D

I, to be honest,dont install that many "new" programs after everything is setup and installed.So I'm not worried.Anything else like I said earlier,would be scanned etc before being committed or used.

None of this stuff is rocket science,in the end it's all about how smart the end user is,period.

6. Buster_BSA

If Deep Freeze had a forum at faronics.com, right now it would be burning! :D

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Lol, very true.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm surprised you waited for somebody to ask. That makes me wonder about motives and intention. You specifically mentioned Shadow Defender and then on your tests - surprise! - Shadow Defender is the only product out of 12 to pass the "test." Sorry, things like that raise a red flag for me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

10. Buster_BSA

You don´t know anything about my motivations so it´s silly you pretend to speculate about them.

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

As trying not to make this thread off topic I wanted to add something.

We bought DeepFreeze and AE2 as a combo on a number of machines. True what Buster says about not needing DF to restore system from an infection, but DF meant nothing would be changed and AE was the guarantee in the mean time of workstation use.

Funny though, when I brought forward my concerns about SafeSys, Faronics eventual 'touché' was - 'well you do run AE'
    - not the point in my eyes, DF was sold to customers on the grounds that it would make our workstations indestructible and 'prevents against unwanted workstation changes—regardless of whether they are accidental or malicious' not 'prevents changes except from this malware' - which is not very indestructible.

The fact that there has been no counter to SafeSys in the current update, DF7, maybe because of the work on the new antivirus but I doubt it for me really means v7 should not of come out without it imo. I'm starting to wonder if it will be fixed or will Faronics rely on their layered approach with Freeze, Whitelist and Secure(antivirus.)

12. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I got an e-mail from Faronics today as I had registered an interest in the AV when it was first announced and they provided a link to download the AV on a 30 day trial. Problem is that it is only available in the Enterprise set up where it is integrated with DF and AE, no indication that it will be available to the ordinary Standard version home user :( :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.