Dedicated FirstDefense Forum

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Flack, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi, I don't see anything re: your folders, but I'd have to ask what you do have on c: that, for arguments sake, must be running around 30+GB. I subtracted 5GB for the absolutely biggest collection of an OS and installed applications (mine is only 2.36GB) leaving the 30GB of what I'd guess is what I'd call 'data'. That data is what you should move elswhere. If you have a partitioning program, reconfigure c: to be only around 4-5 times (15+GB?) what you need for the OS and installed programs, which makes e: bigger by the same amount, but which doesn't have to be copied in the snapshots.
    I keep my Desktop as an 'anchored' file, also OUTLOOK.PST, so that regardless of the snapshot, I have the same desktop and e-mail. I do count on common sense and other programs to prevent a 'baddie' being installed to my Desktop (I don't know of anything that does that except for shortcuts for 'good' programs, and I'd notice that) or even getting through my e-mail scanner.
    Then, anything new, including new versions of trusted apps, get installed in the test snapshot first and run there for a few days before I install them in the Primary

Jim

2. 1st timer

1st timer Guest

It's a total of 24.9GB. Those are the only folders with "GBs" - "Data" which I should move is "my documents=? And desktop=8.6GB

@peter - above a few posts I stated that TI secure zone was in E which is my slave drive

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi 1st timer.

I guess I missed that as I don't understand why you would do that. I thought the only purpose of the secure zone was to be able to put the image on the drive you are imaging. Maybe I don't understand the slave drive setup?

Pete

4. 1st timer

1st timer Guest

If my primary drive ever breaks, I still have an image of my C drive on the slave drive in a protected partition.

5. Peter2150

I do that with an image on an external drive, but I guess what I don't understand is why you need the secure zone if it's on another drive.

BTW, I am just curious on this, which is why I am asking.

Pete

6. 1st timer

1st timer Guest

Well for one, no other windows application can access it - it's secure. For the other, it's so Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is enabled - which gives me a boot option to boot into recovery via F11. Now if I can just get this to create an image, I will have back up. I have no back up yet. Acronis (version 9 2323) just sits there not progressing: http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4927/nothing4ld.jpg

On the subject of 1st defense, I managed to create a secondary and a copy of secondary? How is it that I still have 20gb left?!! I thought the snapshots would take the unused free space but it did not.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4378/snap6ml.jpg

7. Peter2150

Hmm, something odd going on, but I notice you have preboot disabled. Not sure you can create a good snapshot with that condition. I'd keep preboot enabled so if you need to you can boot to the other snapshot. You also have answered why I wouldn't and don't trust acronis for anything. Hasn't proven to be reliable.

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi folks, your Acronis is modifying the boot record (MBR) which conflicts with FDISR which has it's own extended format of the MBR. You have to choose only one, either leave FDISR without the f1 boot option and lose visibility of the snapshots (which doesn't make sense to me) or disable the emergency f11 boot option in Acronis (which does make sense to me). Peter2150 and I differ on the approach to protecting ourselves from mechanical failure of the hard drive, I use a DOS mode progam to copy the entire drive to a second, bootable drive, of approximately the same size. Pete just said that he keeps his image on a second drive, but still needs a new drive before he can restore the image. (Am I right Pete, if not, jump in and correct me, and I aplologize in advance). But I think that hard drives are pretty inexpensive, so having a 'spare' for *either* approach is a really good idea.

Jim

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, interesting JW, thanks for the info. I have the older version 6 of Acronis, it does not seen to interfere with FirstDefense, BUT then again, I have never needed to restore an image with Acronis (because of FirstDefense). I wonder if I should disable anything in version 6; I am not even sure if version 6 even has the same restore options as the latest version. If there is any chance at all of Acronis muffing up my FirstDefense, it goes! :D

Thanks, again.
    Acadia

10. Peter2150

@Acadia. Acronis has never interfered for me either, but I bet you don't use the secure zone. I bet that is what changes the MBR. I just have a high confidence level in Acronis.

@jim You are right on the money. I only have one internal drive that is bootable, the others are external drives, that aren't bootable. So I would have to get another drive. Probably should have a spare, but haven't bothered, as I have a desktop replacement laptop, that has all my mission critical software on it(office,quickbooks,etc). I use a usb key to synchronize all the pertinent data, so I can transfer my total operation to the laptop in about 2 minutes. The key also serves as a sort of backup, and is updated frequently. So if I need to wait 3 days for a new harddrive for my desktop, I wouldn't miss a beat.

Pete

11. 1st timer

1st timer Guest

Thanks guys. What I have are secondary and copy of secondary (whatever that is) but now it's making a copy of "primary snapshot" which I didn't have - which indicates it will require 2hours. should I delete the secondary? I have enabled preboot.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

It may say "2 hours" but I bet that it doesn't take anywhere near that long. The longest that it has ever taken me to create a 5gig snapshot is 15 minutes. As long as you have the room, it does not matter if you delete the secondary or not; it is your choice.

Acadia

13. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

should i hate my folder and does FD need to start up with pc if not how do u stop it starting up? and if i need it to reboot to snapshot do i need to start it up again? MD

14. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Depends on what's in the folder. Anyways it's an arrangement of elecronic quantum states and nothing more so there's no reason to hate it.;)

If you're asking should you hide your $ISR folder - you shouldn't have to as it should already be hidden.

If you want to get full use out of FDISR, then yes, it does need to load at boot time, elsewise you'd have no option of booting to another snapshot if your current one bites the dust. You can't really start it properly unless it loads at boot time and stays loaded.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No reason not to boot with FD turned on. It only uses resources when you decide to make a Snapshot or update a Snapshot, so by all means, keep it on at all times, after all, that's what you purchase the thing for: to protect you.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.