Dedicated FirstDefense Forum

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Flack, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, got a question for you folks using FirstDefense: Any of you also using NOD32?

For fun, I went into one of the Snapshots that I use for testing new software, deleted my Norton2005 anti-virus, and installed the TRIAL version of NOD32. Then I decided to run an on-demand scan of my c:drive. Whoa, I discovered that NOD was scanning ALL TEN OF MY SNAPSHOTS, (all of my ten c:drives) not just my "active" c:drive. This would have taken forever; Norton only scanned my active c:drive.

If any of you FD users also use NOD, is there a way to exclude the other c:drives (Snapshots) from an on-demand scan? Thank you.

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

Interesting. I know all my backup software takes all the snapshots. KAV beta doesn't when run from primary snapshot. I've never tried it from the other snaps. Might refresh you test one, and then install NOD in the primary and see if it makes a difference.

Pete

3. Peter2150

Hey Acadia

Have you considered trying one extra snapshot on your hard drive, and 10 archives. Switching, would involve copying from archive to snapshot but thats really fast. Interesting idea.

Pete

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, you've lost me on your reply. My backup software, old versions of TrueImage and DriveImage, take all my Snapshots also, but that has nothing to do with my anti-virus. Do you have any idea why KAV does not work in your Primary Snapshot? When I load a Snapshot, it does not matter which one, it literally becomes my c:drive, all other Snapshots, for all intents and purposes, cease to exist until the next time I make them my c:drive, so NOD would have the exact same effect in any Snapshot.

Your archive idea sound interesting but don't know if I would go thru all that trouble simply to switch AV.

Thanks,
    Acadia

5. Peter2150

What I meant is the KAV beta only scans my primary snapshot. I've never tried scanning from the secondary.

On the archiving I don't know if I'd bother either unless I wanted 10 snaps, but didn't want to tie up all the disk space. Flexibility is neat though.

Pete

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

With KAV beta in Test snapshot, I don't think it scans the other snapshots. A full scan checked 152962 objects. If it had scanned the other snapshots, I'm sure that would have been higher.

7. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Could it be related to disk defragmentation? If during defrag you move sectors under RestoreIT's feet, it will need to add the extra information to existing backups, or something along that line?

-RE

8. Rui

Rui Registered Member

None of the posters refer an increase of the backup size related to disk defragmentation.

By the way, after seven days of inquiring Farstone about this increase, I have got no reply yet...

9. Reve_Etrange

I eventually bought it, mainly because I had not much of a choice among the major players (firstdefense looked nice but is not supported on non-English XP). The support not answering is not a good point, but I usually don't expect much on that side from most vendors anyway. As for the increasing backup size, I can live with it, though this is not clear what is going on :-/
    Well I hope it won't prove to be wasted $, but at least I'll be able to tell you guys if other annoyances creep up.

-RE

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, indeed, please keep us informed how you like this thingie, thanks.

Acadia

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Acadia, can I ask about updating FD? Can you install over an existing installation, or do you need to uninstall first?

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you're talking about the last major version change, which I believe was in August, you need to uninstall the old version. But during the uninstalling process, the program will ask you if you want to keep the Snapshots. If you answer YES, the program will uninstall but will NOT delete the Snapshots. When you install the latest new version, you can simply take over where you left off; the new version will simply start using all of your old saved Snapshots.

The ability to uninstall but save Snapshots has always been a feature of FD. You can uninstall FD whenever you want but keep your Snapshots; then a couple of years later, reinstall FD and start using your old Snapshots as if you had just last used them yesterday.

Acadia

13. Reve_Etrange

Recently used RIT to make a disk image filedump (95GB) on a USB2 external drive, took 8hrs, checks included...

-RE

14. Peter2150

Did you do it from within windows or from a recovery disk.

Using Image for Windows(Terabyte) it takes me 19to image and 11 to verify about 22gb.

However doing it from the recovery disk, it takes about an hour and a half.

What I usually do is image from windows and verify with the recovery disk. Total is still about a half an hour.

Pete

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Good news! According to Jason Claiborne, their build .166 should be released sometime next week.

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent news, thank you for the heads up. :cool:

Acadia

17. Peter2150

Hooray!!

18. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Will someone post the link when it is released? I`m going to format my puter in a few days and would like to install the new ver at the same time.

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

20. beetlejuice69

21. Reve_Etrange

I'm through w/ RestoreIT, I've had to re-install it b/c GRUB messed with the MBR (I guess it's my bad here), then it's been BSODs after BSODs, MBR scr*wed up, etc. Hopefully had UBCD at hand to fix things up and get rid of that junk. No support as expected (...). Way to go.

-RE

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Do we install over the previous version or carry out a fresh install?

24. beetlejuice69

Yup right over the the other...it`s only a 48 kb update.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If, and only if, you have build 164, you simply install it into 164. Build 166 is not the entire program, only a fix to it.

If you have not yet obtained the new version of FD which was 164, you will need to do the entire uninstall and install routine of the new version which will bring you up to build 164, then and only then, go and obtain the build 166 fix.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.