Decryption error

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Phil Johnson, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Johnson

Phil Johnson Registered Member

Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right place. I'm new at this, so be patient please.
    I encrypted some files and folders with EFS and then reinstalled my os (XP Pro SP1) without saving or exporting any keys or security certificates. Now I can't access my files!! I can't lose those files. They were very hard work. Please someone!! Help me!!!

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hi, Phil, and welcome to Wilders.

I wish I had better news for you but, if the encryption program you used is worth its salt, you're probably out of luck. Most of the better-grade programs are not even recoverable/crackable by their programmers (or so they claim, anyway), and there are usually dire warnings regarding lost keys, certificates, et cetera mentioned during the program's installation. This is one reason why I keep copies of my 'super-sensitive' files, unencrypted, in a location I don't believe can be traced back to me.

I'm sorry to have had to be the bearer of bad news, guy, but ...

3. Phil Johnson

Phil Johnson Registered Member

Well, I suspected that would be the answer and I don't blame you for giving me bad news, but I REALLY hope there's some brainiac out there who can help me. If you are out there, PLEEEEEEAAAAASE!!

4. maverick1

maverick1 Registered Member

He's quiet correct..... If there were someone that could recover your files for you, would you really trust the encryption program you used anymore?

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I may have some good news for you. Just a Google search for, encrypted recovery, and found the following. I imagine there's a lot more to choose from if you look, but it might be of some help to get you started on the right recovery track i hope.

It may be pricey i don't know, but it won't do any harm to make some enquirys. I suppose it depends on how valuable in many ways the data is/was.

I for one would be very interested to know how much it might cost, and if you do manage to recover and how etc.

Encrypted Data Recovery

"Lost passwords and encryption keys can cause enormous disruption to business. Our Deep Thought supercomputer has enabled many companies to get back on track very rapidly."

When clients need rapid recovery of encrypted data, Deep Thought enables enterprises to get back to business with minimum disruption from inaccessible data. http://www.inforenz.com/what/encrypted_data_recovery.html

StevieO

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.