Decrypting a SafeBoot Hard Drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by jpsanta, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpsanta

jpsanta Registered Member

I am hoping to get some help with this problem. I have the drive from my laptop. It is protected with McAfee's SafeBoot. It is running XP and will not boot due to Registry corruption. The drive is a 120 GB 2.5" SATA drive.

I do not want to recover the OS, I only want some of the key files on the drive. If the drive were not encrypted, I would simply slave it to another PC and get the files, but encryption is standing in the way.

The McAfee solution is to use their EndPoint tool to decrypt the entire drive. Unfortunately that process is very time consuming and is not always successful. I have the password for SafeBoot.

Is anyone aware of a tool that would allow me to decryt only the files that I want to get off the drive?

2. keithk1227

keithk1227 Registered Member

If this is version 5 or earlier, your best bet is to use UBCD4WIN (www.ubcd4win.com) and McAfee's BARTPE tools that you can pull from their site (with your grant number) to build a CD that will allow you to mount the drive using Wintech and copy off the files you need. You will need to get the code of the day in order to authorize and then your ID to authenticate. You can call McAfee Support for the code of the day. The drive needs to be put back in the laptop for this.
    Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.