Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Huwge, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I thought I had narrowed down my FW choice to either Netveda or Outpost, but......

It seems that support on the forums for Netveda is practically non existent. I just know I will need support :oops:

Seems Outpost has isssues with AMD64 chips and some had problems allowing access to online gaming

Unless any have anything to offer I guess I trawl Widlers posts for more info

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Try Look n Stop firewall. The people at the LnS forum here will help u a lot.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

send your problems directly to support@netveda.com so far every mail that I have sent to them have been responded to.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The latest 2.6 build includes a fix correcting previous problems with UDP traffic (which was affecting online gaming). The only AMD64 issue I have heard of though was XP SP2's Data Execution Protection feature (using the NX-bit feature on these processors) which should have been addressed with Outpost 2.5 (see Windows XP SP2 and Outpost).

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Try a free solution first. In this case, Netveda. Why pay money if you can get it for free?

6. Arup

Arup Guest

There are some good freebies apart from NetVeda including Jetico, Kerio 2.15+BZ rules, ZA free, Sygate Free and others.

7. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Free trial for LnS as well.

8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.....I forgot to ask, do they al uninstall ok so I can try them out or will I run into problems ?

9. Arup

Arup Guest

They all do unisntall fine as long as you remember to shut then down first before uninstalling and remove all the remenant entries in your device manager>hidden devices.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I tried LnS and quite liked it but I could not get it to connect to my other PC. D/l all the appropriate rules but made no difference. Maybe it is because I use NetBios to connect to the other. The other f/w's I tried had no problem with it and before I used a f/w router it was always stealthed from the 'net. It have good dll detection which I have not noticed in other f/w. I thought it was in Netvada but could not find it.

I do think LnS should be more generous with licences for home users with more that one computer, rather like BoClean and PG do.

11. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

umm..
    read the other threads on NetVeda... if you spell it wrong, less number of search results will come [and they'll mainly be my early posts]

Config has been posted WITH screenshots by myself, 'Just Wondering' {guest} was the first to put it.

12. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Oops - sorry. Been trying hard not to put Nevada. I should look more closely

13. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

its under security/internet security/check enable component trust

14. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That is what I thought it was, but I checked and unchecked and it made no difference. As I mentioned elsewhere I could remove an app from the approved list and it would still be allowed access.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

To block dll, you have to untick the learning mode, that locks up the existing trusted components. Also make sure that you have enabled NetVeda, it is confusing as the icon is not very clear.

16. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=76006&page=3

here's a screenshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.