Decision time: which of these suites?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Crappopotamus, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Ok, I have access to 4 suites each with a years license:

CA Internet Suite 2007 through my cable provider, prepaid key.

McAfee Total Protection 2007 through a new comp. purchase recently, free

MS Live OneCare, 1 year key, got it for 4.99 back this last Fall, never activated the key yet. I have a beta installer for the 1.5 version coming out on 1/30/07. Key will transfer to the 1.5

Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 1 yr Comp. key for beta testing

-----------

I've used all the above without real incident in trial modes so I don't mess up my keys. All seem pretty good except the TMIS seemed to bog everything down a bit. Onecare was pretty nice but I see lots of disparaging comments, MCafee was kind of 'just there', but nothing outstandingly bad is kinda good I guess.

It would be going on a 2gb e6600 machine w/ a 500gb WD hard disc, system used for gaming and surfing, no actual work (home office type) done on this system. Also would be installed on a turion 64x2 tl-52 compaq laptop. I am behind a linksys 54gs router/firewall with the two pc's above.

Will be going to Vista upon release for both systems. These are the choices I have, since I have access to 4 paid suites, I'm not planning on buying anything :D

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . I don't like suites but if I have to choose between the ones you mention above , I'll definitely get McAfee , because from CA , Trend , MS and McAfee , McAfee has the best detection rate , I believe . Don't forget to test them before you purchase/start using them "for everyday" :)

3. Crappopotamus

I forgot to add I'm behind a linksys 54gs router on a cable connect with the 2 pc's. In reality the main reason I'm asking for info is that aside from the boggieness of the TMIS (perceived because I've read about it or ??), they all seem to do what they are supposed to with no major issues..

Just a little cornfused I guess. :)

One thing that will play into it is I'm going to Vista and I've only seen beta of stuff from TM, and MS. McAfee and CA are awfully quiet on their vista plans.

NIS2007 which I have tried looks sweet, but 49.95 for 3 users when I have these free suites at my disposal would be hard to swallow..

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a shame there your only choices.
    out of those mcaffe.
    but for a pure gaming pc kaspersky 6 av or nod32 would be much better choices.
    lodore

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Of those 4 suites I would go with McAfee.
    Jerry

6. Crappopotamus

I had eyed Nod32 and not worry about the spyware standalone, BUT with most other big names doing the 3 license or at least 2, makes me rather reluctant. It's basically a self-imposed thing with just those choices, since they are already paid-for in some fashion you know.

7. Donenzone

Donenzone Registered Member

Because you use your computer only for gaming, I would certainly not choose McAfee or TMIS because they put the most drag on your system.

I don't know about OneCare, but it seems pretty light with good detection rates. CA is also very light but I think OneCare is better because it has a higher detection. So I would probably go for OneCare.

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I recomended Avira Premium Security Suite, it's light on resources and have a great detection..

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

for a gaming machine try kav or kis6.0
    its a shame that there your only choices they eiether gonna slow your system down or the others wont be have low detection rates.
    antivir premium suite is good.
    lodore

10. vhick

vhick Registered Member

yup it a shame:oops:

your question is suite, i prefer kis or avira...

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Of the programs that you mentioned,I'd take McAfee.
    Trust MS(OneCare) for security? No way!

12. pipester

pipester Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
  13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on topic. These are the four choices listed in the original post.

14. Crappopotamus

Interesting reading, but with the eset I'd still need a standalone spyware/malware app, antispam, and possibly a firewall for outbound program control though. That's one reason why I'm trying to stay with the suites. I know some say they can't 'do it all' with a high degree of effectiveness but if at least a nice balance can be struck I'm happy.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32+boclean= perfect for gaming pc.
    boclean will get what nod32 misses.
    or kav
    lodore

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

not teh greatest choices...but id go for mcafee.

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I tried all the suites the OP listed. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go with McAfee. It just ran better on my computer, and I believe it has better detection rates than the other.

I'd recommend KIS 6 also. That's what I'm using now, minus the Anti-Hacker firewall. I just wasn't happy with Anti-Hacker. KIS 6 runs very light on my computer.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kis6.0 runs light on my system as well.
    I have all modules active.
    plus soon it will have improved heuristics and PDM white list.
    but out of the list mcafee
    how many processes does mcafee 2007 use?
    lodore

19. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I have a few issues with Nod on a gaming machine. When playing Battlefield 2 or 2142 on line, if you have IMON set to scan all files I get the dreaded, there is a problem with you’re connection and then the server is dropped. If you set IMON to only scan .exe files it does much better. Also for some strange reason when running nod, starting a game from the desktop icon can take several attempts. I have found Avira classic to be a good choice for on line gaming I have no experience with the suite. I use FDISR so I can have one snapshot optimized for gaming with Avira and BoClean and another frozen snapshot optimized for surfing with Nod and all the extras.

20. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

From what you've listed I'd go with Trend Micro because it's a whole lot cheaper than anything else.
    You can keep it on your PC until NOD32 V3 comes out :p

21. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i will also go with Trend-Micro.....firewall has improved a lot....also mcafee has a lot of issues with the new version...and i think you don't really need that 10-in-1 total protection for sure..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.