deciding between two AVs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by toxical2004, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

I decided to give a try to a free av program, so i'm considering between avast! and the EZ av (free for one year). I know that avast has all those fancy functions like scanning the http traffic,but don't like the fact it has no heuristics in real time protection. On the other hand EZ seems like a nice av,but it doesn't seem to find any of the spyware (since they have a separate solution for that),and updates are not very frequent. So,what do you think,which one of these two would be better solution for a free antivirus, and also which one has better overall detection rates (especially od trojans)?
    PS-both of them seem quite reasonable in virusbulletin tests (EZ is even better rated there),but other sites give different ratings on them.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

avast! would be my pick without doubt... EZ is good at detecting viruses (vb100) but bad at detecting trojans/backdoors ect ect. And I think avast's component based design is just great, you can make it fit to everybody's needs...

3. sard

sard Registered Member

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dont think that link works anymore (for Panda AV)....does it? o_O

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I have EZ on the kids comp now for 3 months, backed up by DrWeb CureIt and EZ has caught 19 virus so far and CureIt has not found anything that EZ has missed nor has any of the online scanners.

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

could it be false positives? :)

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

The Panda link is dead, unfortunately. At least I can't get it to work.

I'll vote for AVAST over EZ any day. I think AVAST is a more complete program, and better at finding worms and trojans. I've used it for almost a year now and haven't had anything get past it. Occasionally, I'll run Bitdefender free which I use as backup, and it finds nothing. AVAST is a great program, better than many pay antivirus programs. As for virus tests, I don't pay much attention to them. It's the real world that counts.

8. probprince

probprince Guest

Avast! gets my vote for this one. I've had it for a month and I've had no troubles. It is actually quite stable and you have tons of skins for it too.

9. BD free has no real time scanner...so it should be compatable with most any other AV

10. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

No it was not false positives, I meant that scans by cureit or online did not turn up anything that EZ has let slip by it so far.
    They were legit virus, some email some from web pages. The kids get excited and always call me when a virus is found. I update and run cureit weekly and monthly go to an online web scanner just to get another opinion.
    I am gaining enough confidence in EZ's performance that I am even lax about follow up scans unless the kids say something is wrong. I had avast on the comp but it kind of intimidated them so I tried this because it seems to be much more automated and doesn't require much action from the kids.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  11. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

Ok, then i guess i'll give the avast a try :ninja:

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

avast! Home Edition ;)

It's better than some pay AV's.
    Very configurable, very good support and nice features...

13. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Probably a good choice, my pref would be avast. I only switched on the kids comp. I have avast on another comp and it has not let me down.
    But I will say that I have been pleased with EZ's effectiveness and ease of use.

14. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

I have BitDefender, Avast and Panda TruePrevent on one of my machines and no problems whatsoever.

15. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I think that either Avast! or EZ will suit you fine. Avast! has more configuration, while EZ is very stable, and unobtrousive. EZ has updates around 5-6 times a week. I do not know about now, but last year when I tried Avast! it was only updated a most 4 times a week.

As for Trojans, EZ does just fine. In fact I think that it is all it finds on my PC. Last night I clicked on a webpage and it tried to load 12 trojans on my machine and EZ caught them all (Shinwow, Suzzer, redirects). I scanned this morning with Bitdefender, and KAV online scanner and both came back clean, so EZ must be doing its job. I have had version 7 for about 6 months and the old 6.2 for 3 months, and I am very satisfied with its protection.

If you need lots of bells and whistles to make you feel protected then EZAV is not for you. Buy NOD or KAV and they will protect you just as well, but you will have something to play with.

As for Avast! I have to ask. Are you considering it only because it is free?? Or do you think that it is a good fit for you?? I am not knocking it, because it does a really great job. Its just some people ask if one is better than another, but in the back of their minds they are really thinking, will this work good enough so that I do not have to part with a few bucks.

Regards

16. Firecat

eTrust has relatively good detection as far as Trojans and Spyware go, thanks to PestPatrol.

What bothers me is the unpacking capability (unsure whether its good or not).

17. waters

waters Registered Member

Does etrust antivirus or etrust promo use definitions from pest patrol in their antivirus database

18. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Did not know that Firecat. Thanks for the info.

19. Firecat

Well I'm not sure whether eTrust EZAV detects Spyware, but I do know that trojan detection of eTrust is very very good, mainly because eTrust acquired PestPatrol.

EDIT: It seems EZ Armor does detect spyware, the website says that it protects from identity theft.

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Correct just turn off your real time AV when you do your BD back up scanner and then make sure when BD is finished you turn your real time one back on. I forgot to turn off my realtime one I think it was AVG at the time and nothing bad happened it just took hours to scan until I went :eek: :rolleyes: and turned off AVG. All was o. k. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.