Decent Processors in a New PC

Discussion in 'hardware' started by RCGuy, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I recently started another thread that shows that I am looking to find a good deal on a new computer in order to replace my Windows XP computer that I have:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=361141

But I wanted to ask the forum's opinion about decent processors(CPUs) on the market.

Also, the main processor that I am interested in for a new computer is the Intel Core i3. Plus, for what I generally use my computer for(e.g. surfing and researching, email, message boards, internet radio, youtube videos, and downloading music), I don't feel that I need anything more powerful than an i3. Plus, I am not interested in paying the extra expensive of a more powerful processor.

However, I've seen some other processors that I don't know that much about and have tried to do research on them(which can become tedious and a bit confusing since I'm not an expert on processors), therefore, I was wondering if members of the forum could me feedback on these processors and processors in general.

But here are the processors that I am inquiring about(I've eliminated some other ones from my own research):

AMD E1-2500 Accelerated Processor

Intel® Pentium® processor G3220

AMD A4-5000 Quad-Core Processor

Also, what is your opinion on getting a processor that wlll make your computer future-ready because of all the stuff that they are pumping into websites(e.g. facebook, twitter, googleapis.com, google-analytics.com and other google sites, doubleclick.net, and the list goes on and on)?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Also, I am interested in buying a new desktop computer.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I would avoid the very low power processors like AMD's E-series or Intel's Atom. They tend to be rather slow. For buying a new PC, I would set a budget and then just try to find the best processor that fits within that budget.

As for future proofing, it's a game you cannot win. The best advice is to just buy a computer that fits your needs when you need it. If it really bothers you though, see if you can get a quad-core processor. Intel's are typically more expensive but you should be able to find an AMD A8-xxxx at much more reasonable prices.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The new Intel NUC D34010WYKH seems perfect for your needs.

Panagiotis

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, WSFuser. That should be helpful information.

Also, do you or anyone else have an opinion on the Intel Pentium-G3220 processor?

6. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

My God, what is that? Is that an actual computer? I have never seen a computer that looks like that before in all my life.

How big is it? Also, do you know how much it costs?

7. WSFuser

The latest Haswell-based Celeron/Pentium processors are no slouch. They're good for a basic computer.
    They're approximately 4 by 4 inches. It can fit roughly in your hand.

Price-wise, they are between $300-$400USD. Some older models can be had for around $200. Also if you buy a barebone kit, remember you still need storage, RAM, and an OS.

8. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

If you don't plan to game at all Intel's Haswell is the way to go.

9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, Wroll, and WSFuser.

10. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I would build your own. No other way to do it. Haswell, Ivy or bust.

11. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

12. pandlouk

Intel started to produce/sell the NUC line in march 2013 if I am not mistaken. The logic is to have mini powerfull enough pcs for workstations, home theater pcs, etc., that can rival mac-minis.
    With the i3 haswell intel makes
    BOXD34010WYK1, BOXD34010WYK2 and BOXD34010WYK3 (no support for internal 2.5-inch HDD or SSD)
    and
    BOXD34010WYKH1, BOXD34010WYKH2 and BOXD34010WYKH3 (with support for internal 2.5-inch HDD or SSD)
    1=type B power cord
    2=type E power cord
    3=type G power cord
    to check the size watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUzUlGUNNE

The one with internal support for 2.5 hdd/ssd costs 289.99$
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HOJAVDG

and yes it will work with external usb dvd/cd writer.

Panagiotis

13. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The CPU on that NUC is slower than a CPU released 5-6 years ago.

14. pandlouk

Sure, but for a cpu with max tdp of 15w is impressive.

Panagiotis

15. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Maybe for a tablet not a desktop.

16. WSFuser

Source? I didn't realize Intel mobile Haswell CPUs were that bad.

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

It's a mobile CPU. They're always years slower than their desktop counterparts. You can game with an q6600 any game you have today. With that CPU, I don't think you can bother with it on gaming.

18. pandlouk

RCGuy did not say that he was into gaming; for everything else that he want's that CPU is more than enough.
    If one want's a more powerfull system there is also BOXD54250WYKH1 which is faster.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1038&cmp[]=2012&cmp[]=1944
    as for gaming check here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnJy1ejj88

Panagiotis

19. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

With that logic in mind he could get a smartphone or a smarttv. Anyway, if you want to throw money away get that NUC thing, that's my opinion.

20. pandlouk

With your logic he could buy an xbox or a ps4 and blow away the fastest cpus in gaming.
    IMO, throwing money is buying something that one won't take fully advantage from it...

Panagiotis

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Like I stated in the other thread, I don't think the market is conducive toward buying new PC's right now. IMO now is the time to get a generation or 3 (lol) old for pennies on the dollar... more than capable of doing those tasks until 2020 and possibly beyond, and then reassess the situation. Unless you just feel like you need/want to have a new toy. Windows 7 & 8 seem to both run perfectly fine on just a Core2Duo CPU in the low-mid 2.0's. And 4 GB of RAM. You can find used boxes with specs like these for around $100 on EBay with some good timing. No more than $150 anyway.

Like I said I got two. The CPU's Core2Duo's, E8300 & E8400 (2.83 & 3.0 ghz). And both supported hardware virtualization like I wanted as well, vt-x & vt-d. And trusted execution technology. Just a few integrated features I was looking for, and they happened to have them all... the only Core2Duo branch that did (E8K's). I was stalking EBay for awhile until I found them with exactly the chips I wanted.

Just food for thought... as far as current gen goes I do agree that Core i3's are the best bang for your buck. Unless you're running resource intensive apps/games you probably won't notice a difference. Based on what you say you're using the box for...

22. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi RCGuy,

The very first thing to do when researching a new computer is to determine your needs.

In this respect, here are my needs, as an example which are very specific to my interests and background + the desire to explore hardware supported VMs and security:

1) In order to allow full hardware support for the Qubes OS, it must have hardware support for for the Xen hypervisor

2) Since I have a multiprocessor background, it must be quad-core or more and Haswell Intel chip (at 22nm) given currently available technology.

3) A Linux compatible laptop

To insure these requirements, I am able to check the Intel website at ark.intel.com and search for these requirements, and, otherwise search for "Linux Laptops" for additional retail websites.

-- Tom

23. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Blow away like what? We already have hardware better than what's on those consoles. An I5 Haswell will beat both consoles on CPU benchmarks.

24. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm addressing OPs original question & computing needs for NEW hardware. Not the morphed discussion.

Desktop right. What's the budget? Are you going to reuse monitor, kb & mouse?

You'll find less costly hardware in laptops. And you can connect it to your peripherals.

Otherwise you'll pay at least $200 MORE & overspending for your needs for desktop hardware. Believe it.

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So what did OP decide?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.