December 2008 Browser trends

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HURST, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Chrome is backed by allmighty Google so don't be surprised if they surpass FF by next year. For Opera, its for those who know or care to change and that means very few.

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Ironically,Among those u listed IE is the worst of all.:)

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I used Opera for a year but never really liked it. A few months I tried to like it again, but it's still a no-go for me. Firefox's customization via add-ons is hard to beat.

If you follow the link, you can see how IE is loosing marketshare. just wait for another year...

On a related story:

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-40785-140.html

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think these numbers should be taken as an error prone estimate.

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I try Opera every once in a while and IMHO I think it's the most polished browser out there. However, due to the extensions and customizability, I always seem to return to Firefox.

Truthfully, if Opera had made their browser free earlier (i.e., before Firefox), I don't know if Firefox would even exist today (or more likely it would be used by many fewer people, because more people would be using Opera).

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It would only be used by fewer people until they all found the extensions, then Opera would get left behind again. Regardless of MANY extensions being just plain stupid and silly, the customization of Firefox cannot be beat. IF, either Opera or someone using Opera came out with something that at least came 70% close to being just as good as Noscript and AdBlock+, then it's not such a far out thought that Opera would pick up some speed getting new users. Until then, it's not going to happen.

Also, Opera is not as "forgotten about" as these polls and and studies would make it seem. The vast majority of them rely on U.S data, and Opera is VERY popular in Europe. If Opera's usage percent was an international percentage, and stayed as low as it is always portrayed, Opera wouldn't even still exist. Even free browser developers have bills to pay, just as Mozilla.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ok, opinion time: I truly believe Chrome is going through a "gee golly, this is new" phase with users. Chrome is not crappy in the least, but it is, imho, a very, very unpolished browser. The security aspect is great, glad to see it though it really remains untested. The looks are just god awful...Windows 95 explorer anyone? Lol. But again, people are hooked on extensions, as I posted in a previous statement. Mozilla will be sitting pretty for quite some time guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. IE, well, again, imho, IE would have been dead not long after Phoenix (Firefox when it was just a wee baby for you users new to Firefox) arrived if the web wasn't so damn determined to require it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I actually like the minimalist look of Google Chrome. But I'd have to agree that it is not ready for prime time yet. Just one look at their bug tracker and you'll see why. Also, it lacks some of the basic features that other browsers have (ie. smooth scrolling).

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

The only problem with this scenario is that if Opera was more popular (i.e., made free earlier) there would be many more extensions/add-ons for Opera and most people wouldn't select Firefox over Opera simply because of the add-ons.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera out of box has most of the extensions and add ons built in which you have to install in FF, also the Widgets provide plenty of useful stuff that one needs. With Opera, you can start surfing right away, FF does provide an easier way to install adblocker etc but in Opera that can be done as well via urlfilter.in from Fanboyz and .JS for blocking Flash. Its all there but one needs to look.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I too like the minimalist UI, but very true, there are a lot of little bugs and issues yet to be fixed, I have run into half a dozen just using it for a week or two. Some of them are pretty silly too. In time though, it should develop into something much better hopefully....

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the percentages look correct to me.

IE falling, Safari and FF getting higher.

Chrome has some very good security features, and browsing is fast, oh and the fact that its google, people love google!! .... i know i do :D

i can see most people using this.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If Opera were as easy to use as it is fast, it would be my browser of choice ... :doubt:

Acadia

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i have nearly all of them installed, and only one set as my default, this is firefox.

i keep them all installed, as i am known to switch browsers now and then and it saves me going looking for them, downloading, installing and un-installing one aswell.

what do people want in a browser?

for me, fast browsing is a must.... which is a big plus for Sarfari.

customizations are great, but its certainly not a must for me.

so for now, Firefox 3 is my default, its looks better than safari, its customized a little and offers a good browsing speed, even though its not as fast as Safari, at this moment... Firefox offers the best balance of speed, customizations and security for my needs.

but my better browsing experience, is Safari, its just too fast! :)

will i change?... most likely, as i like to do that with browsers, it keeps my browsing experience fresh and new.

Chrome is new at the moment, and ive noticed a few 'crashes' but browsing is fast, similar to Firefox 3's speed, and it does have some nice security features. GUI is a little basic, but my screen does feel massive when using it.

overall, there are some good browsers, i like most of them and for very different reasons, so its nice to change sometimes for a while and have the different web experience.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ok, I admit it's been a while for me and Opera, but last I saw, any "noscript" functionality Opera had was nowhere close to Noscript itself. What about cross-scripting and the like? As far as Fanboy, I'll look at it again. I do admit having 2-3 separate lists in AdBlock is annoying at times. The widgets, don't even get me started. Unless it has changed DRAMATICALLY, I'm going nowhere near them. I got tired of them showing up where I didn't want them and blocking out my browser screen.

18. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Depends on what Google wants to do with it. They may or may not want a dominant position in the browser market. Also we shouldnt be so confident about their ability to get their browser out there. Always be people who dont care and use the default browser. Maybe if Android gets big.

19. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Safari goes up!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.