DEAD HDD cured with DISK DIRECTOR 10

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cortez, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

MY 40 gb seagate was pronounced dead by seagate's HDD utilities (I downloaded it with my other machine). I COULD NOT RESTORE with FACTORY RESCUE DISK or any other disk or even with a copy of retail Windows. I used DD10 in stand alone mode to "wipe" the HDD and it did! I then was able to restore my compaq presario with the factory restore disks and the hard disk is working fine. It does clatter a bit but otherwize works good. I think "wiping" the hard disk let the restore disk to "slide" onto the disk since it was now raw.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Cortez:

Very good, but if I were you I would run the Seagate drive test utilities again, now that the disk is apparently working. And if the "clattering" noise that you are hearing is something new, then it could be a sign of impending doom. Better safe than sorry.

3. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I worried about this especially if the disk is drawing more current to operate. (This could fry my motherboard). So now I'll buy a oem drive for $49.oo and install it. Thanks for the "Heads Up".

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

If your disk draws extra current this may put an extra load on your power supply but it won't hurt your motherboard. So don't let that be a deciding factor.

The part of your previous post that caused alarm bells to go off was the "clattering" noise. If this is only the normal sound made when the heads are seeking then it may not be that much of a concern. Maybe the drive only needs to be defragmented. Or, your drive may have settings for "Maximum Performance" or "Minimum Noise" that got changed when you reformatted.

But if you're hearing a new or an unusual noise, then you should be worried. Strange noises from hard disks are almost never a good thing.

5. cortez

cortez Registered Member

koLo: Electricity is funny and does surprising things. My son's emachine burnt out 5 components!, (I think in this order): the 1. HDD, 2. melted a portion of its data cable, 3. the motherboard, 4. the keyboard, and 5. the power supply. The HHD had bad bearings and made a grinding sound but non-the-less worked. I think the motor finally seized up (and shorted out) and drew a big enough current to melt the data cable and worked its way up the chain to the power supply. The celeron chip went untouched somehow. Luckily my son bought an extended warranty which covered all repairs. I am not sure this is the sequence but the melted portion of the IDE ribbon seems to point in this direction. Anyway on my machine I think a new HD is the safe way to go since it is out of warranty. The new "chattering" noise is too unnerving, and kOlo, like you said "Strange noises from hard disks are almost never a good thing". Thanks for your input, in the end it might save me mucho bucks.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I had a similar experience yesterday with an external USB. I was experimenting with various Firewall and HIPS programs and suddenly one of my external USB Drives started to act up. Windows told me that the drive needed formating. Nothing I could do could get the drive to work. I vaguely remembered about DD10 being able to restore lost partitions so I loaded the program with my data clearly showing. I ran the routine to check for and fix errors and received a message saying that there were 2 very small errors. Seconds later the Drive was working again and as far as I can tell all data still intact. If I had believed windows I would have reformated and destroyed some useful True image archives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.