Deactivating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gud4u, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

How can I do this?

Product is TI 10.0.

Since activating the Startup Recovery Manager, I've had a few instances of failed boot. With a touch of the restart button, boot is always successful on the second attempt.

This never happened before activation of the Startup Recovery Manager.

I have assumed this is due to modification of the MBR to allow F11 activation of the Startup Recovery Manager.

How can I deactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Otherwise, TI 10.0 operation has been perfect in every operation I've tried (Backup partition to DVD, backup partition to Secure Zone, validate backups, restoring partition from backup image and cloning old HD to new HD).

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gud4u,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know the operating system you use?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

OS is XP SP2 with all current updates.

Question:
    I have a backup image of my OS partition prior to activating the Startup Recovery Manager. If I were to restore MBR-only from that image, would that solve the problem?

Thanks for your heps!

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gud4u,

Yes, that will work and, at the same time, it will leave your Secure Zone (plus any images contained therein) intact.

Regards

Menorcaman

5. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Thanks, Menorcaman!

I replaced the MBR modified by Acronis with an MBR from an earlier OS partition backup image, and that seems to work. No more prompting about the startup recovery manager at boot.

6. Acronis Support

Hello all,
    We are glad to know that this has worked for you. Even in case you haven't had a backup archive with the original MBR structure in it it would be possible to deactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager by fixing the MBR from the Windows XP installation disc. You would need just to boot from it into the Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

7. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I tried that, but the recovery console doesn't recognize my hard drive - for whatever reason. Perhaps a JMicron/Windows HD driver problem. Option available to me was press F3 to exit.

I considered simply uninstalling TI10, but was unsure what the state of the MBR would be after uninstalling TI10.

Perhaps future versions of Acronis TI might backup the unmodified MBR and provide a menu tool to restore the original MBR. As far as the TI10 menu is concerned, activating the ASRM is a one-way trip.

In other regards, TI10 program performance has been excellent! Backup, validation and restore operations have been fast and perform as advertised.

Thanks for your help.

8. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

I do not want to wait 30 seconds when turn on my PC.
    What to do?
    Thanks

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Turn it on 30 seconds sooner? ;)

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

In order to fix MBR (restore it to default) you can download special Acronis utility. Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy.

If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special ISO image with this Acronis utility. Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

The MBR will be rewritten once you boot the computer from the created media and confirm that you want to fix the MBR.

To JohnnyBravo - could you please provide additional details regarding the issue?

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.