DDS10 and Vista Partition boot

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Starfire-1, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starfire-1

Starfire-1 Registered Member

Hello all,

I thought this was going to be easy. :cautious: I have a dual boot, WinXP and Vista machine. I installed each "in isolation" by pulling the other drives signal cable. Of course I can use the BIOS boot menu to select one or the other, but I thought I would give OSS a try.

The bios order will boot WinXP naturally and I installed DDS10 (2160) and OSS on the WinXP primary partition. I noticed that OSS creates a BOOTWIZ subdirectory on each partition that it finds. Ok, cool so far. I can boot through OSS to WinXP no problem, but when I try to boot to Vista, the sequence simply waits at a black screen with a blinking cursor. It's not a hang, just a wait.

I booted into Vista via the BIOS selection menu and all was ok. When I tried to access the BOOTWIZ subdirectory (that the WinXP OS or OSS had created in the root NTFS subdirectory or the Vista partition) I was denied access. When I right clicked selected properties and security, Windows Explorer crashed.

Clearly there is some "extra" NTFS information that is either missing or incompatible with Vista's access system - probably since the BOOTWIZ subdirectory was not created by Vista, but by either WinXP or OSS. The boot "wait" kind of make sense if it can't read the content of the BOOTWIZ subdirectory.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I gues all NTFSes are not created equal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.